mgrey
Newly Registered

Kordana yellow minature rose bush in trouble

I have a potted Kordana yellow minature rose bush. With a a few days of purchasing it, the roses dropped. I repotted the bush and it seems to perk up a bit.

It is in direct sunlight for about 3 hours a day. I water it but don't let it get completely bone dry. It is not sitting in water.

It's been about three weeks since I repotted it. Leaves have been continually drying up and dropping. Sometimes the leaves fall off without drying up.

The trunk feels strong and healthy. There is a very, very little bit of new growth. However, leaves continue to fall off. The plant isn't a bush anymore -- more like some branches with some leaves.

What do you think is happening and what should I do?

Thanks,
- Maurene

JPIXI

Hello Maurene,

Your situaiton sounds very much like you have bought an over feed rose( push its "display loook" ). It is famous that plants from a reputable flora exporter nation does that to tempt people to buy. Therefore, be smart to withhold yourself not to buy that you suffer later when you suspect the pot of plant falls under the above case.

Honestly, there is very little you can do as the plant is so used to heavy fertilization that anything you do will not satisfy its needs. Besides, it is overly exhausted during their speedy growth that aged them tremendously.

Since there is some growth in your rose, I advise you to protect the base of the pot from any different in temperature. Place it at a location that there is neither too sunny or too much shade for the time being. As far as possible, only water your plant with rainwater and a little added Epsom salt that promotes growth.

Hope it helps.

Amitié,
Pixi

mgrey
Newly Registered

Pixi,

We have been having quite a bit of rain, so I'll collect some with the next shower. I also have a perfect place to move it -- out of the direct sunlight -- for now.

I hate that flowers are forced to bloom. Indeed upon purchasing, it had an incredible number of roses in full bloom. I won't buy my miniture roses at the market again. Where do you suggest that I buy them? I'd prefer a brick and mortar store, but online is ok also. What should I look for to ensure that my flowering plant has not been force-bloomed?

Amitiés sincères,
- Maurene

JPIXI

Hello Maurene,

I afraid that I cannot be more precise on where you shall get your roses as I do not live in States.

The simplest way to tell a "push up" plant is by looking at its steam. It is impossible for small plant to have luscious big blooms when they are young and not fully established. The plant might be a little short (if kept prune all the time) but its steam should be strong, and a little brownish in colour (sign of age).

Another way to tell the health of the plant is by its weight. Heavy pot is always better of than a light pot with irregular watering that results in poor soil.

Try to use rainwater to water your rose from now on, and if possible add a little of epsom salt.

Please let us know if you needed any help again, we will try our best to share our experience with you.

Amitié,
Pixi

mgrey
Newly Registered

Hi Pixi,

The advice on how to tell a "push up" flowering plant is very useful and will help me gauge the plant's health the next time I'm purchasing.

Yes, I see that you live outside of Paris. (I was in Paris about two years ago... quite beautiful. Coffee is incredible!). I will visit different local nurseries.

Thanks for your assistance.

Amitié,
- Maurene

kevinschoppe
Cool Member

I would suggest visiting local nursary's and talking with the local gardeners. Also if you see a neighbor who has a nice rose garden or nice garden area stop by and ask them where they go. (On a personal note: This is a good way to meet new people, and talk gardens)

I also recommend Jackson & Perkins online, but be carefull that you get a rose that would be best for your zone. I live in a tropical zone, and I can grow many different roses that can not be grown where you are. One thing I do envey about the north is that you can have year around Pieonies, and the Mums...... These plants are annuals here. I planted some Mums here last month, and they looked nice, but they are starting to fade, too much heat.

mgrey
Newly Registered

Thanks, Kevin

Return to “Rose Forum”