MissDW
Newly Registered

Mini Rose Bush looks terrible????

I recently purchased a mini rose bush. It looked great until I planted it in the yard in full sun. Now all of the blooms have turned brown and are falling off, also I am not seeing any new growth. What could be wrong and what should I do?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Unless you purchased your mini-rose from a greenhouse where it was growing in full sun, it probably wasn't hardened-off yet. Plants that are used to growing indoors, even in the bright light of a greenhouse, are unable to adapt instantly to being grown in bright outdoor sunlight. It's possible that the bush also was used to a much higher level of humidity in a greenhouse.

If this just happened a week or less ago, the plants roots are probably still alive. Just place a chair or small table over it to protect it from the sunlight during the hottest hours of the day. Use a clean sprayer to mist it with water several times a day, or just give it a spritz with the garden hose.

Keep a close eye on the rose and see if new growth doesn't appear within a week to 10 days.

Resist the urge to give the plant fertilizer or extra water. Without leaves, the plant won't need much of either of those, so the water and food will just sit in the soil and damage the already-struggling roots. Just keep the soil slightly moist. BTW, is your rose in the ground or in a container?

If this doesn't help, post again, and we'll see what other problems there might be. :)

Return to “Rose Forum”