angelkrp
Newly Registered

Follow up to Aphid problem, more questions!

I went out to check on my roses this evening. Some aphids are still there, but not as many. I think the soap spray is helping. However, I did notice a ladybug on the rose bush, yes! I was so excited, thinking "great the ladybug will eat the aphids!" Then I noticed it wasn't moving at all. It was dead! I think the ants killed it? I don't this the soap spray would kill it, or would it? I like ladybugs, as they are our symbol for our little girl, and I want them in my garden for that reason and to eat the aphids! This rose gardening thing is so much more complex than I thought! :cry:

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

I have not read of the soap being an issue. On the other hand, they have very few enemies such as spiders, praying mantis and birds.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

The soap spray will kill most insects. The one exception I know of is adult scale insects. It's a good idea to examine plants carefully before spraying them. :)

angelkrp
Newly Registered

Thanks. I read that it only killed soft bodied insects, and only on contact. Anyway I rinsed the plant with a good spray of water and am now working on organic ways of ridding the ant problem!

kelly714

I have had great success ridding my roses of aphids by using banana peels. Aphids do not like the potassium in the peels. I started by draping small strips of peel close to the affected areas. I also place peels at the bottom of each bush. Have not seen aphids since.

carol_in_va

Hi Kelly, I'm in VA, too. :) Where are you?

I've got aphids on my roses. I made a spray from the leaves of rhubarb; I don't think it worked 100%, but it's part of my arsenal. I've got some serrano peppers I'll be making a spray with next. I've never heard of draping banana peels ON the plant. (I do have 1/2 a peel buried under mine) Do they not rot the stems, or do they dry out quickly?

I've got a ton of wee little buds that the aphids and I are battling over, I smush them with my fingers every time I go by the roses, and sometimes I spray in the evenings. My mom's rose bush hasn't produced well in about 2 yrs. We finally got a bud to bloom on hers the other day (yay!), but we're willing to drape banana peels all over the place if it will win the war!

kelly714

I live in Virginia Beach. Very hot here today!!!

I tear the banana peels into thin strips and drape two or three very thin strips in each plant. The rest I just toss at the base of each rose bush. The peels dry out very fast and are usually black by the end of the day! This is a very cost effective and natural aphid control!

carol_in_va

My kids LOVE bananas, we go through about a dozen a week. It would be more, but I'm afraid they'd turn into monkeys! lol I'll go grab a peel from the compost bucket and start draping. It's definitely worth a try. I've gotten only 3 actual blooms so far. I lost the first 3, they refused to open and stayed in a ball shape. I cut those 3 off and threw them in the trash in a little baggie. Before trashing them I opened one up and found a colony of little nasties in there. I'm thinking they were thrips... :?

We are seriously feeling the heat today. I was dripping with sweat while trying to hang laundry out earlier. Yuck. Dh & I are suppose to be cutting down 5 trees over the next few days, but not in this heat! Hopefully it will cool down just a bit for us...

nakanj

what a great idea. I would never have thought of it. I will try the peel instead of the insecticidal oil I been using!

dbang10

I have watched a hoverfly lavae devour an entire aphid poulation in a couple of hours. Get to know this little garden wonder. The yellow stripe down the back is a big identifier.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Hi dbang - You might like to go to the introductions section and introduce yourself to us. It looks like you really like roses and have been having a great time resurrecting all the old dormant posts in the rose section! You understand of course that many of those people posted one question months or years ago and have never been back, so very unlikely to see your response. But it's ok, because maybe your responses will be helpful to someone else with a similar question.

Welcome to the Forum!

Burz

I've got about 20 rose bushes and grow in zone 5b. My best aphid control so far has been straight water. I use a regular spray bottle on the stream setting and blast them off. And the bigger ones that don't come off I pinch them between my fingers :P . This goes on for about 2-3 weeks and there gone for the season. It's a pain but after using so many different products and home made sprays, water seems to do just fine until the predatory insects move in for the season. Also I have and there are rose varieties that are resistant to aphids if the little trouble makers are bad in your area. I have 2 varieties that I've never seen an aphid on ever.

barnhardt9999

I think I would be a bit worried if the ants killed the ladybug. That is classic carpenter ant behavior. Carpenter ants farm aphids and will protect them from predators. If the roses are near your house I would hunt arounds and make sure there isn't a trail of little black ants leading somewhere under your house. Over time carpernter ant colonies can grow very large and do a lot of damage to the wood around and under your home.

joytohave

Heres a list I found, not sure what here is compatible with roses but it is a start as a preventative may be a cure they may die or go elsewhere don't know..

Catnip, Chives, Coriander, Dried & Crushed Chrysanthemum, Eucalyptus, Fennel, Feverfew (attracts aphids away from Roses), Garlic, Larkspur, Marigold, Mint, Mustard, Nasturtium, Onion, Oregano, Petunia, Sunflower

Return to “Rose Forum”