selva
Newly Registered

rose stem drying

I had bought a poted rose plant few months back and had kept indoors but the flowrersdid not bloom to the fullest instead it bloomed very little and dried up then I cut them and kept them outdoors and new stem and leaves grew but fell off and the stem dried up then I cut the dried part and new tem comes up and the above repeats now I have kept inside and new stem is coming, I had changed to a big plastic pot the day I got it , and water it thrice a week when outdoor. please help, cant keep inside coz of my cat.Any tips to keep my cat away coz he chews the leaves.

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Roses (stems, leaves, etc) are not toxic and will not hurt your cat like Poinsettias and azaleas could. To deter the cat, try several methods to see what works for you.

Start by coating or spraying the stems with something that tastes bad like cayenne pepper. There are also products called NO!, Ropel and Bitter Apple that can be used to spray areas where cats and dogs cause problems. Pet stores may carry something equivalent. You can also place a barrier near the rose or place the rose in a protected area where the cat cannot reach it.

Some people place kitty grass (catnip) near problem areas to wean the cat off the roses. It does not seem to work 100% of the time but it is probably worth trying. You could also try a water pistol when the cat gets too close to the roses. LMFAO Works if the cat does not like water.

Some people coat the stems with liquid dish soap but by the time I would be trying that, I would somehow investigate why the cat does this. Is it bored for example? Increase quality playtime if necessary. Is the cat getting the proper amount and type of nutrition? Discuss the types of foods and the amount that the cat eats with a vet.

Like I said, try some of these suggestions and see what works for you.

Return to “Rose Forum”