aaronmartin8
Newly Registered

First Time Growing Roses - Need Help Please

SOON I'm GOING TO START WORKING WITH ROSES I WOULD OF ALREADY BUT THE PROBLEM IS I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS A GOOD STARTER ROSE I LIVE IN FLORIDA AND I'VE NEVER WORKED WITH ROSES BEFORE I DON'T KNOW IF THEY NEED LOT'S OF SUN OR LOTS OF SHADE I NEED HELP!!!!

:?:

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Aaron,

Most roses prefer full sun of 6 hours or more, but there are some that will grow and thrive with 4 to 6 hours of sun. Lots of helpful rose growing info here.
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/rose/

Here's a list of some of the more easy care roses.
https://www.atlantarose.org/Rose%20Tips/lowermaintenance.htm

Here's info on the different classes of roses.
https://www.rdrop.com/~paul/main.html

Newt

Cactus Joe

Your best bet is to visit your local gardens and see which roses do best there. Look around your neighbourhood for properties with roses. If you see a yard with nice roses, go knock on the door and talk to the property owner. He or she, I am sure, would be more than happy to share their experiences, successes or failures, with your. In fact, they might even give you some rooted cuttings (I seem to be doing that all the time!). Go to your local nursery and see what roses they have on sale - chances are that they will offer roses that do well in the geographic area of their customers. Talk to a member of the staff who is knowledgeable with roses. Look for your local rose society if any - consider joining one. I, personally, have learnt a lot from those experts in our rose society. (There is a lot to learn from people who grow more than a few hundred roses!). From the rose society, get information as to who the Rosarians are in your community.

Finally, don't be afraid to take the plunge. The saying, "No pain, no gain." holds true for rose growing. Don't be afraid of failure. Each failure makes you a better gardener, just as much as each success does. On the other hand, don't overwhelm yourself by growing too many too quickly - which is a hard urge to resist for newly inducted rose lovers. Grow only as many as you can comfortable manage, so that you can give sufficient attention to all of them - in terms of watering, fertilising, weeding and pruning. Otherwise, neglect will doom all except the hardiest varieties to failure.

lefty317

great advice joe, I would start with 3-5 tops, then add others as you have time to prepare beds and do research. one bit of advice I like to give new rose growers reflects a mistake when I started......DON'T THINK THAT ALL ROSES HAVE A WONDERFUL FRAGRANCE !!!!! many have been bred for large beautiful flowers and have no scent at all. if fragrance is important to you, look for roses that are marked very fragrant or exceptionally fragrant, "lightly fragrant" means you probably can't smell them.

welcome to the wonderful world (addiction) of roses...
chris :)

Return to “Rose Forum”