utakecare

Need some suggestion on my roses

I have 3 roses, one is doing all right, just finished 4 blooms.
Another two do not bloom at all. one looks healthy and growing well, but no flower at all. it is right next to the one flowered.
[img]https://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb469/utakecare/P1010004.jpg[/img]
The 3rd one is in the back yard on a slope. Some leaves do not look very healthy, a little bit wilt at the edge or not straight? I do not know how to discribe, see the pic below. And the leaves seem all jammed together, not spreaded like the other one
[img]https://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb469/utakecare/P1010010.jpg[/img]

Any suggestion? I did water them and used epsom salt, coffee ground...not real fertilizer though
San Diego, bad bad soil w/ a lot of clay, construction debris like concrete

thanks
utakecare

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Hello, utakecare. I normally would not worry about bloomage during the first two years due to transplant shock. It takes a rose bush about 1-2 years to become established. During that time, the roots are developing and most of the time, you get some flowers. If the soil is as bad as you said then it may take a longer to get used flowers.

I would have prepared the planting hole by mixing ½ soil + ½ compost in a 2’ by 2’ by 2’ hole. As you said, your soil is bad so it takes a while to break thru or grow around some of those rocks. Obviously, I would try to remove the worst of the rocks if possible.

I would also do a soil test to see if the soil is deficient in certain minerals. Nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium are readily absorbed by roses and your soil may be low on these or it may be too alkaline. Your Agriculture Extension Service or nearby universities can help you do and soil tests. Over here, there is one local plant nursery that does it for free (I return the favor by buying amendments from them). As a result of the soil test, you may need to transplant the roses back into the same spot once you amend the soil and remove the worst piece of debris. You may also have to add some acidifying amendments although the roses look fine right now. Some of the leaves have red pigments but that is normal on new leaves and goes away after a while.

Until you know the results of the test results and what does your soil needs, I would only apply organic fertilizers such as bone meal (high in phosphorus), blood meal (high in nitrogen) and cottonseed meal (good all around). Or you could add compost and-or composted manure.

Does that help you, utakecare?
Luis

utakecare

Hi Luis,
Thanks a lot for answering. I will start with the soil test. Hopefully some nursery around here can do the test for FREE.
This is the first time I have a yard, frustrating dealing w/ almost everything I have now. Besides that, we have rabbits, gophers around, my strawberries are all gone before I can pick them up. I do not have any talent on gardening... :oops: :oops: :oops:

thanks again
utakecare

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

I hear you. It would help if we went to school and they gave a class on gardening.

Return to “Rose Forum”