SuzieQ13

Best potting soil for potted roses

I have 2 rosebushes that are in pots right now because as previously stated I don't have enough room and will be moving in 2 years. :? I'll admit that the gardening rose bug bit me hard this year. :lol: What I need advice on is what type of potting soil to use. I have my Queen Elizabeth (QE) in Miracle Grow right now but it doesn't seem to be thriving. A gardener at a nursery said that Miracle Grow is to hot for them?

So Any advice that I can just go and pick up at like Lowes or Home Depot. It doesn't necessarily have to be organic, I just want something that would make my rosebushes thrive while in pots which the one is the other not so much.

Also the QE is a metal like washer tin, I'm thinking that might have something to do with why its not getting so well. Anyone have any information on what type of pot I should use would be great! :D

P.S. I know I ask alot of questions but I'm naturally curious, and if I have a problem I prefer not to suffer in silence (on some subject) :oops: Sorry if I bug to much.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I have not used MG products, so I can't share personal experience with you. I use a basic potting mix called "Natures". I think it's only sold in the west, though. The same company also makes a brand called "Black Gold", which I like, and another brand called "Sunshine Pro", which I haven't ever used. I try to find mixes that don't have peat moss as the first item on the list of ingredients. JMO. :)

I don't think a metal container would necessarily be a problem, as long as there were plenty of drainage holes in the bottom.

Return to “Rose Forum”