deadlyart
Newly Registered

dirty air

I have been told that roses require dirty or unclean air to prosper is this fact true please.

Many thanks

deadly art

Newt
Greener Thumb

Where in the world did you hear that? Plants don't like air pollution any more then humans or animals. Some plants may tolerate air pollution better then others, but I have never heard of a plant that prefers it.

Newt

deadlyart
Newly Registered

Re: dirty air

deadlyart wrote:I have been told that roses require dirty or unclean air to prosper is this fact true please.

Many thanks

deadly art
I wil take that as ano then and thanks for the reply

Newt
Greener Thumb

It's a no! :) You are very welcome!

Newt

Cactus Joe

I wouldn't dismiss it

I wounldn't dismiss your idea completely. It all depends on how one would define "heatlhy". If healthy means less blackspot, there may be an element of truth in it. There has been claims and observations that roses grown in cities are more resistant to black spot than those grown in "clean air". It is postulated that one of the airborne pollutants, sulphur oxide, when mixed with rain, has antifungal activity. And it has lead to claims from sites like these: [url]https://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/advice/pests_and_diseases/nonflash_index.shtml?rose_black_spot[/url], that black spot is more common in city grown roses now that pollution is under tighter control and the use of coal has been significantly reduced.

Return to “Rose Forum”