Primrose
Newly Registered

These bugs are making my roses sickly. Can someone help?

I am pretty new to rose gardening so I'm still learning the different diseases and pests and how to treat them. I keep finding these little bugs ALL over my Oklahoma roses. The petals are wilting, there are holes in some petals and some of the leaves are jagged and brown. My duchesse de brabante bushes look perfect. They just have a ton of buds so far. I'm not sure if they are attracted to the blooms or what. Anyway I've tried to google this pain in my roses but I can't really nail down the type of bug or whatever. I've tried neem oil and the soap and water mixture but they hop right back on an hour later.

Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. Sorry if I sound like a freak on my first real post.

[url=https://img34.imageshack.us/I/photouw.jpg/][img]https://img34.imageshack.us/img34/7647/photouw.jpg[/img][/url]

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I'm sorry. The picture is so washed out (overexposed?) that I can't tell enough detail to ID the critter. From its stance, it rather resembles an assassin bug, which would make it a garden friend, not foe. However, there are some pest insects that resemble assassin bugs. Can you describe its color? Is it actually white, as it appears in the picture? Assassin bugs tend to be orange or reddish. Can you see the legs well enough to see if they have stripes, I.e. alternating black and white bands?

Maybe another member will be able to ID it from the pic you have posted. If not, why not try to get a better pic, perhaps more of a close-up? I'll be happy to try again. :)

dbang10

It looks like a baby grasshopper. If it leaps it is definitely a grasshopper. I get out there and splat them by hand when they are very young like this one. When they are small they eat little holes, when they get bigger they heat away half of a bud or the peduncle. I don't spray for bugs so I don't know how to get rid of them but I am sure there is a spray at you local nursery.

Return to “Rose Forum”