monniemon

Can rocks also be used as winter protection

:?: I have had alot of trouble from moles, and voles(field mice) tunneling under the roses and eating the roots, I have lost many a bush. I have tried everything,from covering the top of the plant beds with mesh,sitting out mole poison to the mole/vole motion beepers. Nothing seems to stop these creatures.

In my front landscaping instead of mulching we rock everything(we like the look). I noticed that the roses are growing wonderfully,no holes from the moles/voles. So in late august we decided to rock the raised plant beds, what an improvement with my roses, they grew better, ones that I thought were dead started to break new canes. I figure the moles/voles cannot dig down through the potato rocks. But because of the rocks we donot mulch anymore.

so I wanted to know if the rocks would serve as some sort of winter protection for the roses?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

mon,

Move your question to here for better visiblity. Better chance of being answered.
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=7

Eric

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Welcome, Monnie! :)

I moved your post for you. We prefer to avoid duplicate posts when possible, because they dilute the discussion. ;)

monniemon

thank you for moving my post.

Return to “Rose Forum”