Elizabeth77
Newly Registered

One cane on my rose bush turned red

It wasn't always red, and the rest of the bush, the canes are all green or brown with brown thorns and green leaves. This ONE cane: the cane, the thorns, the leaves coming from it, all red! This seems weird to me. Is something wrong with my bush? Is it something to be concerned about? I'm new to tending rose bushes. Thanks!

Grey
Greener Thumb

It sounds to me like new growth - usually new growth on a rosebush starts out red, then changes to green. No worries!

JPIXI

Hi Elizabeth77,

It can jolly be a strong growth of the rosebush. If so, the sterm should be a lot thicker than the rest and in deep blood colour.

However, it can also be a growth from the graft. The best way to identify this is to scratch to see if the sterm is above the grafted or below. You surely want to keep those above the graft and not below. Before you cut off the below graft growth, you can double check by comparing the mature leaf of the new growth sterm and the rest of other sterms. If they are the same, I suggest that you take a risk to keep it. If not, cut it straight away to avoid the stock drain off all the goodies in the soil.

Good luck,
Pixi

Elizabeth77
Newly Registered

Thank you so much to both of you for your replies!

Return to “Rose Forum”