rose bush care?

I have just purchased a rose bush, it had leaves on it when I got it, I planted it and now ( a couple weeks later) there are no leaves on it at all, it just looks like a stick in the ground.... is it dead? what do I do if it's not to make it look alive?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Not a really good sign. Did it get frosted? Watered? Need more info...

Scott

yes, it was watered, I did cover it when it frosted... I water it everyday, but I'm afraid there's no hope for it :( should I give up and try again with a new one, if so, is there any advise I could get to keep this one triving? I don't know much about roses... :?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Without more detailed info on where you live, what soil, light and environmental conditions you have and how much effort you are (truthfully) willing to put into it, I can't tell you much of anything. There is a rose for every garden, but I need to know about the garden... :?

Scott

I live in North Carolina, (temperarily, AF Base) I have never taken care of or tried to grow a rose bush, I've gotten the hang of flowers and other bushes, they are growing fine for me. I know that rose bushes should not have competition with other plants as far as the roots (right :?: ) I know that they need mostly sunlight.... I don't know how to trim them back and that kind of stuff. and for some reason, mine just died.... I did something wrong.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

:( If you haven't seen leaves back by this point, I think it's safe to say that the plant has entered "permanent dormancy" (I find that phrase more palatable).

I can't find a specific thing you did wrong other than plant that rose kinda early; scratch the bark and if you find a green layer right below the bark give it some time and it may come back. But I don't want you to get your hopes up too much; that initial description was pretty grim.

Try a rugosa rose; they're hardy as a rock and will put up with most anything you give them (or not, as the case may be). If this was a boxed rose it may have been in rough shape to begin with; I'm a fan of container roses as they have a root system already (the box needs to grow roots before anything else).

Better luck next time...

Scott

thank you so much.... I will try that and let you know how it goes. :D

Return to “Rose Forum”