markandcathy50
Newly Registered

Fall roses

I live in Minnesota. What are people's thoughts about planting/starting roses in September. Would it be better and wait until spring? Any suggestions for a rookie rose person would be great.

JPIXI

Hi markandcathy50,

You have not specified how your roses are, are they well root roses from containers, or are they bare root? If they are from containers with good roots, you can bascially plant them at time of the year except forst period. For bare root, personally, I prefer to wait till the climate is slightly colder to buy and plant them quickly, 4 weeks to 8 weeks before forst arrives.

It is always good for rose to establish themselve in Fall if your winter is not too hash. Roses planted in Fall perform much better than those planted in Spring as they have settled comfortably and are ready to grow in Spring.

Please do some research on "before planting" as it is a good assurance to good foundation for a long term.

Amitié,
Pixi

Grey
Greener Thumb

JPIXI, if Minnesota winters are pretty harsh (I think they are) do you know, can they plant them say, in mid-September, let them get used to things in the Fall before the first frost arrives in like, November (am guessing on the first frost date)?

JPIXI

Hello Grey,

In France, we do not have very hash winter, therefore I cannot imagine how it can be like to be under -6°c to -10°c.

For impatient rose gardener who wishes to take the risk, planting the rose 4 to 8 weeks before the first frost is still allowed, for hash winter. However, careful winter protection is highly recommended. The trick here is to know when to protect them. Try to delay mulching and covering them as late as possible, for the rose to be totally "warn" by the weather to go to sleep. Personally, I will not do my winter protection before mid December, when I scratch the top soil and top up with compose soil and dry leaf covering nearly the entire rose (for young roses).

Certain roses and species are more resistance to cold when some are not. In any case, to play safe and not taking any risk, for hash winter region, maybe it is better to keep the rose in celler (cool place but not warm or freezing cold) during the extreme weather, and plant them after the frost threat is over. During this period, do not forget to water the rose from time to time. Please take special attention when you water the plant, to avoid wetting the sterns and young feuillages, to prevent fungus and diseases that might weaken and kill the plant.

Hope it helps.

Amitié,
Pixi

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

JPIXI! I hadn't seen you around in a while and just had to drop you a line to say HELLO! How have things been.

(sorry to interrupt your thread markandcathy)

JPIXI

Hello opabinia51,

Thanks for dropping by. I have been busy doing some self improving courses lately. Hope everything is fine with you guys too.

Amitié,
Pixi

Grey
Greener Thumb

It helps a lot, JPIXI! Thanks for your thorough reply :)

My winters are mild, but it can get below freezing and I lost a rose last year to the cold - so I do plan on wrapping mine up this year to protect them a little more!

Return to “Rose Forum”