Rosebud

black spots on roses

What can I do for the black spots on roses ? :(

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Neem oil is my spray of choice; if you want fast but dirty try Daconil...

Scott

helen
Newly Registered

Sorry to hijack this thread but I am suffering from a similar problem, where would I get these products from? would most good garden centres sell them?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Yup... :)

HG

Grey
Greener Thumb

Black spot is a common problem on roses. There are some rose varieties that are more resistant to black spot than others - in FL I had to spray my roses with rose care (from Home Depot) once a week to keep this problem away - the humidity in FL made it far more prevalent.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Neem will do the job without the added chems; shotgun cures usually bomb a bunch of things that don't need it, and we're for less chemicals here...

HG

Two givens with rose growing: They require specific care and with roses you get black spot ( :evil: )

Provide roses with the "Big Three" - All day direct sun, weekly watering with a soaker hose and an organic feeding schedule. Also, provide space between roses for good air circulation and mulch the bed. When basis needs are met, roses tend to be less prone to disease and pests.

That being said, you can have the healthiest roses on the block, but if a neighbor does not and they has roses with black spot, so to will you. Black spot travels by wind and raindrops.

A preventative solution is to observe roses on a daily basis. Black spot will always start on a lower leaf. If you see an infected leaf don't just say "Oh no, black spot " and walk away. Get a pruner and remove that leaf and its stem. Put the diseased parts in the the trash, don't toss them on the ground under the bush. Then disinfect pruner blades with a spritz of alcohol. I keep a small mister bottle of alcohol and small paper towel squares in my garden caddy, which I have at my side whenever I'm outdoors.

I am not a fan of systemic products since they are fatal to earthworms and other beneficials and, as I have a dog that has to share an enclosed yard with the roses I avoid any chemical powders or sprays.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

You're hired. All good info and I wouldn't change a word...

Scott

Return to “Rose Forum”