JPIXI

Herbal fertilizer and insecticide

COMFREY

Personally, I use comfrey as a spray to combat any feuillage diseases togather with other herbs and as an insecticide with soft soap on my roses. As they are diluted herbal tea, there is no threat of burning the feuillage.

Comfrey (Symphytum officinale L.) is a perennial herb of the family Boraginaceae with a black, turnip-like root and large, hairy broad leaves that bears small bell-shaped white, cream, purple or pink flowers. It is native to Europe, growing in damp, grassy places, and is widespread throughout the British Isles on river banks and ditches. Comfrey has long been recognised by both organic gardeners and herbalists for its great usefulness and versatility; of particular interest is the "Bocking 14" cultivar of Russian Comfrey (Symphytum x uplandicum). This strain was developed during the 1950s by Lawrence D Hills, the founder of the Henry Doubleday Research Association (the organic gardening organisation itself named after the Quaker pioneer who first introduced Russian Comfrey into Britain in the 1910s) following trials at Bocking, near Braintree, the original home of the organisation.

The plant, COMFREY has deep roots that accumulates potassium from subsoil. It's leaves are high in nitrogen and breaks down very quickly that makes it an almost instant fertilizer. A high potash feed, it has an N : P : K of about 8 : 2.6 : 20.5 %

Below link provides you guys with some breif usages of this fabulous herbs.

https://www.the-organic-gardener.com/Comfrey.html

Nettles

Nettles is highly recommended for plant that is stressed due to harsh weather and transplant. It stimulates the plant growth as well as an insecticide and great ferilizer.

Nettle is the common name for any of between 30-45 species of flowering plants of the genus Urtica in the family Urticaceae, with a cosmopolitan though mainly temperate distribution. They are mostly herbaceous perennial plants, but some are annual and a few are shrubby.
The most prominent member of the genus is the stinging nettle Urtica dioica, native to Europe, north Africa, Asia, and North America. The genus also contains a number of other species with similar properties, listed below. However, a large number of species names that will be encountered in this genus in the older literature (about 100 species have been described) are now recognised as synonyms of Urtica dioica. Some of these taxa are still recognised as subspecies.

For more information please refer to the link below:

https://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/Plants.Folder/Nettle.html

There are some herbs that I use for my roses. There is another herb that I use generously, Horsetail. However, I regret that I do not have enough information to provide in English as yet.

Amitié,
Pixi

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Wonderful information Pixi!! Thank you so much for sharing what you have learned about herbal usage for organic gardening. Keep it coming.....

D'un s'est levé à l'autre ! :wink:

Val

JPIXI

I use Horsetail herbal tea for after prune sterilizing, and healing. Very effective and I have no worry that it will cause my roses any harm at all.

Amitié,
Pixi

Return to “Rose Forum”