Oregon Stonecrop
Newly Registered

Grass Among My Roses

My house came with a cultivated (but not well cared for) area in the front lawn. It is irrigated with auto sprinklers and gets full sun all day. The soil appeares black and rich.

The spot has nine rosebushes in bad need of some TLC. They are not too large(tall) but are rather thick. Next spring I plan on cutting them back to 4-6 good ,healthy canes each.

The entire area is thickly carpeted with grass. Actually was...as I have used a mattox and litterly peeled away all the grass carpet and loosened the soil underneath.

My problem is each bush still has a very heavy growth of grass among the canes. I can't seem to get at this growth without doing considerable damage to the rose's canes.

Can anyone suggest the best away to get this grass out?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Hello, Oregon Stonecrop. What type of grass do you have? Can you post a picture in order to see this thick growth and how it spreads around the canes? I have pulled grass, weeds and some invasive shrubs around roses and they have not complained but I wanted to "see" what you are up against. It may help us suggest things.

Oregon Stonecrop
Newly Registered

Sorry no photo...but the grass is from local commercial sod grass at 60% Kentucky Bluegrass, 40% Perennial Ryegrass. Plus it has had years to establish. Actually I'm surprised the roses have even survived.

This stuff has a root system you have to see to believe. If it were only a matter of simply reaching in and pulling it out... then no problem.

My concern is that digging it out by force will result in damage to the canes and roots of the roses.

I'm beginng to think that next spring. my best option might be to just dig up the roses and replant. Though I was hoping someone could have an idea I have not thought of.

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

I am not sure if you can do what I propose since I cannot "see" but have you considered reducing the water supply to the ryegrass and putting newspapers on top of the grass that is growing around the canes? Top them with a around 3" of mulch to weigh it down. A section with 10-15 unforled non-plastic pages might be able to help. Other people put some kind of black plastic on top of the grass to kill it but (a) I am not sure where to get that and (b) I am not sure if it will make it difficult to water the roses. This newspaper method is a slow way (3-4 weeks) to prevent grass growth and-or kill grass. The newspaper/mulch combo should allow the water to still seep thru but remember not to water "much". Ryegrass needs lots of moisture to survive; it is weakest around the summertime. So give the rose bush enough water and that is it. Adding chemicals is another possibility when trying to kill rye grass but it can injure the roses;
I admit, all this takes quite more time than to dig & replant!

professorroush

Hi; you should be able to smother the grass with enough mulch around the roses; mounding wood chips or compost high (6-8 inches) won't hurt the roses, at least in the short run.

Another option, that I've had success with in a similar circumstance, is to search for a grass specific herbicide; Poast (that's a registered trademark name) comes to mind. You can spray it directly onto the grass inside the bush and not harm the bush if you follow label directions. I think Poast is even labeled for use on roses.

Return to “Rose Forum”