Jim
Newly Registered

Problems with blooms

I am new to owning rose bushes as have recently purchase a property with about 43 different rose varieties (bushes, standards, climbers). They are all out in bloom and are wonderful. However, there is one bush which seems to be struggling. It's foliage looks fine (as far as I can tell) and it produces enormous blood red buds with very fleshy looking petals on the outside, but they refuse to open in bloom and stay as a large bud. After about a week or so they basically turn brown and disintegrate at the slightest touch.

Could you please let me know whether this sounds like a nutrient problem. They do get ample watering as per the other bushes.

Many thanks for your help.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Although I am not strong in rose diseases, there are fungal issuesd that would behave in this manner. Thrips are another one that might cause this kind of situation; look for small holes in the bud where they bore in and rip one apart. If it looks like someone shredded the bloom inside the bud (why it won't open), that's thrips. If it is, this is one of those times that a systemic rose care product is a necessary evil...

Scott

Return to “Rose Forum”