JPIXI

FALL fertilizing

Hi guys,

I need to clear my doubts here, hope you guys can enlighten me.

Recently, I have heard from a Canadian gardener that putting half a cup of bone meal and Espom salt in early fall can help the rose establish their roots better during fall and winter. Well, I suspose that we should not soften their roots by providing any fertilizer later than August? I am confused here.

Can anyone give me some hints?

Cheers,
Pixi

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Hi there JPIXI!!
Here's my version!! You'll have to decide for yourself, which way you want to go.
Fertilizing your roses should stop about four to six weeks before the first frost. You are wanting to have your roses slow down and get ready for winter, not keep developing.
Also, phosphorous (bonemeal) and epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) both linger for a lengthy time in the soil, so if given too much or too often, can cause a build up in your soil, causing an imbalance, and your roses then will appear to be lacking in nitrogen, when in fact, the nutrients are just out of balance, and the rose is not able to use them.
The only thing I put on my roses in the fall is a generous helping of very well rotted compost piled around the bush, and by spring, it has sifted down into the soil, ready for the rose to use that summer.
You will find that with rose gardeners, everyone has their own little quirks about how things are done, and they all say theirs works, so I would just say, pick out what works or makes sense for you! :lol:
Si tout va bien ceci clarifie des choses pour toi JPIXI ! Merveilleux pour te parler encore ! Avoir une grande soirée. :wink:

Val

JPIXI

Hello Val!

Thank you so much for your detail clarification.

I will not add bone meal and Espom salt to my roses in this case. This year I have adopted herbal regimes using comfrey and nettles for my roses, and they have grown far enough.

Take very good care and thanks again my dear friend.

Amitié,
Pixi

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

You are most welcome Pixi!
I have noticed in other posts that you have been trying some herbal methods. I would be interested in learning more about that - that's something you could teach me because I have never ventured into studying all the interactions of all the different herbs on the roses.
You certainly have taken to rose growing with a passion Pixi, and it is wonderful to see your thirst for knowledge to keep them beautiful! 8)

Avoir une soirée grande, mon ami de rosey ! ! :wink:

Val

JPIXI

Hello Val,

Since many months ago, after a visit to the countryside where a lot of rose farmers are situated, I am very engrossed by their usage of nature herbal treatment that really works wonders without any harm to my roses. They can be used as treatment as well as fertilizer. Top of all, they can be found in the wild and absolutely free and abundant.

If you do not mind that I shall start a new topic in Rose Care, to discuss more about these herbal usages and their benefits soon.

Good news Val, my long waited Peace climber that I do not expect any bloom this year has finally a very gigantic flower. Really gigantic. So grateful to have you encouraged me to keep this 2 climbers Val.

Amitié,
Pixi

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Pixi, I am thrilled for you that your Peace climber is blooming for you! Although with all the love and attention your roses get, I wouldn't wonder!!
Of course you can start a conversation about your herbal experimenting - you don't need to ask my permission!! The forum is open for anyone to add whatever knowledge they have, and ask whatever question they may have, as long as it is about gardening!
We would be honoured for you to share this new area with us!! 8)

Bonsoir, Val

Return to “Rose Forum”