coasterqueen

Roses not doing so well this year

I have had beautiful Knock Me Out rose bushes around my deck for about 9 years now. They produce gorgeously every year. Some years I get them pruned completely back and covered before winter and some years I haven't and they've still come back beautifully. I also try to prune them throughout the spring/summer.

This year the roses have looked awful. Lots of dead that isn't coming back and I even had one full bush not come back at all.

Are they just hopeless? Should I just replant new ones or is there hope they will come back better next year? They've always looked big and bushey and gorgeous and this year they look extremely pathetic :(

JPIXI

Hi coasterqueen,

I am not very sure if Knock Me Out is the same as Knock Out in France.

If they are the same, the many dead head you have now might due to improper prunning. Make sure your cutter is sterilized as any contamination of the cutter can be a severe setback growth in the next spring. Personally, I like to wax the wound to prevent any infection.

As your rose is an established 9year old, with good flower form and fragrance compared to a young rose, I susgest you give it a try to save it.

Apply some good compost soil or new organic soil to the rose's foot and water abundantly with a handful of Epsom salt.

Water regularly once a week abundantly, and twice a week during mid summer and cover the top soil.

Good luck.
Pixi

Return to “Rose Forum”