barbie5
Newly Registered

Moving a rose bush from NY to FL

I will be moving from Long Island, NY to Central Florida in August. I want to take my rose bush, but I need some advice on how to transplant the bush and where to plant the bush when I arive in Florida. The rose bush will be in my husband's pick up truck which has a cover on the truch bed. Should I water the plant before or during the 2 day trip? Does the plant need light or is it best to just leave the plant alone? How should I replant the rose bush and when is the best time to do this?
Thanks

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, water well before digging it up. That will help keep the root ball intact. In order to successfully move your rose bush at this time of year (best time would be in winter or early spring, while it is dormant), you want to take as much of the root system and surrounding earth as you can. Dig around the plant at least a foot out, maybe 18" (depending on the size of your bush) and dig up that whole ball of dirt and roots.

Then cut the rose bush back so that it is about the same size above ground as below ground (so that the roots have less leaves etc to support while they are getting established in the new location). Since it is going to be traveling for a couple days, I'd pop the dug up plant into a container (flower pot) big enough to hold it and a little bit of added potting soil and transport it in the container. That will keep the root ball together and the roots a bit of protection, help hold the moisture. Don't let the root ball dry out during the trip. I wouldn't worry about light during the trip, in fact probably best to cover the whole plant, lightly, not with anything heavy that might crush it. Just put a paper or plastic bag or something over it.

Best time to replant it is ASAP to leave it out of the ground as little as possible, although if you got a big enough container to put it in, it can be grown in the container for awhile.

Here's a little article about moving rose bushes:

https://www.rose-roses.com/culture/ArenaTransplant.html

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

One word of caution.... nematodes are a problem in Florida and you may need roses grafted on Fortuniana Stock over there. Nearby, local nurseries can tell you if nematodes are an issue in your new home.

Return to “Rose Forum”