garcaj

roses have beetles

Hello, All~

My beautiful, fragrant rose shrub, which is quite large is infested with very small, irredescent green beetles. They are all over the flowers that are open especially.
I have seen some on my banks roses as well, although the bloom is over for it. I have several other rose bushes that have buds and will bloom soon and I do not know what to do to get rid of these beetles now.
I prefer to use non-chemical methods, but at this point, I don't want to sacrifice all of my blooms if something does not work right away.

Thank you and pleasant gardening to all.
:x

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Picture would help to be sure (see Helpful Tips and Suggestions for New Members in the introductory section for instructions on how to post pictures here). But at a guess, they are most likely Japanese beetles, which are a major pest and roses are one of their favored foods. They can destroy your rose bush if left unchecked.

If you come out early in the AM while it is still cool, they are more slow and sluggish. Hold each branch over a bucket of soapy water (detergent is fine in this case, because you aren't putting it on the plant) and shake the beetles off into it.

They are attracted to the smell of the roses, so if you plant onions and garlic around your roses, it can help to repel them.

Here's a little article about it:

https://easyplantcare.com/index.htm

garcaj

And thank you for your post and info. I will snap a photo and attach it.
These beetles are very small and solid, dark green. There is no orange.
They showed up from out of nowhere. We live in the mountains miles from town yet I suspect they may have come from within a nursery plant I purchased (just guessing), but I purchased so many it would be hard to tell which or if this is the case.
Nevertheless, these were not around before.
Thanks for the hint and I will have my husband :>} try to shake them off. (I'm not fond of the idea of beetles all over me).
Picture coming soon.

Regards...A

garcaj

Hello again~

Here are a couple of pics of these little bugs and you can see the damage they are causing my roses.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/93495198@N00/4630266035/

Here's the other one:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/93495198@N00/4630266657/

These are very small, maybe almost a quarter inch, if that. And very shiny, iridescent dark green. And so destructive! I don't know what these are but I don't think they are Japanese beetles cuz of the color and size but I really don't know anything about beetles--except that they will ruin my flowers :}!

Thank you.

garcaj

As a PS to my previous entry that includes the photos of the rose killing beetles:
I have searched extensively on the web and cannot find what these beetles are. I was leaning toward them being the rose chafer beetle only that beetle is 3/4" mostly.
These beetles are about 1/4" and they are round as one can see from the photos. They are so dark green it almost looks black.
If anyone has any idea what these are please let me know.
To Rainbowgardener, I did use the detergent in water and shook them off but I had to add vinegar to the water before they would stop crawling out of the bucket. Some would drown right away but until I added the vinegar, it was much easier.

Thanks to all.
A

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Nice to know... thanks for reporting back! We can add the vinegar to the helpful tips!

Return to “Rose Forum”