kitt
Newly Registered

Hybrid Tea Rose Bush Leaves Turning Yellow & Brown

I just bought a rose bush in early June, and I'm not sure what to do to keep it from dying, which is what it appears to be doing.

It's a hybrid tea rose bush, and all the leaves are turning brown and or yellow. I've read some things on the internet, and some sites say not to prune in the middle of the season, but I'm really worried that maybe I should.

Any suggestions?

meesh
Cool Member

Yellowing leaves could be lack of water or you may have the disease called black spot. ( a picture would help ) If the plant is not getting enough water that one is easy, just water more. For black spot you must start a spray program with one of the many fungicides suggested in previous postings. Also keep your rose well fertilized to helped fend off disease.

Elsie
Newly Registered

Hi Kitt

I am gathering you have just planted it, or is it still in the pot?

If you just planted it, it could be from a number of things. Check these:

Is soil well drained, roses hate being waterlogged.

Not planted too loosely?The plant doesn't move easily in the soil if you give it a gentle tug?

You are watering it enough? Newly planted roses need at least a bucket/watering can of water directed around the root zone twice a week (to get those roots established nice and deep) after planting.

You didn't let the rose dry out in the pot before planting? and did you give it a good bucketful of water at planting time?

Didn't use fresh manure at planting time?

If you've checked all the above, then it could be black spot, but usually there are black spots on the leaf, before they turn yellow/brown and fall off the plant. Have the leaves got black spots?

The other thing could be a nutritional problem. You could get a cheap ph testing kit and check soil. Dig down about 3 inches, get a tspn of soil and follow directions on kit. Very easy to do. If ph is too high/low (ideal for roses is 6.0 ph to 6.5ph) that stops certain nutrients being made available to the plant. so this could be a cause as well.

My bet though is black spot (as long as there are the tell tale black spots on it, sometimes they merge into each other and look more like black mishapen areas lol) esp if your climate has high humidity. Are leaves left wet for long periods of time ie do you overhead water late in the day before leaves have a chance of drying off.

Hope this helps. :D Post again if you need any more help.
Regards
Elsie

Elsie
Newly Registered

WHOOPS!

forget to mention the most important thing, I wouldn't prune your rose. The few remaining leaves on there are all that is manufacturing the food for the plants energy to keep growing., and you don't want to prune these off.

And please don't do what most people do when their plant looks like it's dying, and that is give it a double dose of food. That just puts it under more stress, and could burn all the newly formed tender roots that are trying to establish themselves.

There's a few remedies for black spot if you think that's what it is, but check for the black spots first, and also check the other points that were mentioned in the previous post.
If you need more help, post again

Cheers
Elsie :D
PS What's the name of the rose?

JPIXI

Yes, adding additional plant food now will only stress the plant. What you need to do now is to hydrate your plant, and the best solution is to spray rainwater frequently (NOT when it is under direct sun) on their feuillage.

Cheers,
Pixi

Floret
Newly Registered

Hello,
I have a tea hybrid rose . I planted it in April in the pod and I keep it at balcony. I is growed with many leaves. Yesterday I saw on back of the some leaves cobweb. It is on some leaves and they turned yellow. I couldnt see spiders or else.

Do you know what is it?
Thank you in advance. :?

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Hi KITT!
I apologize for coming into this post so late, but I have been away. All of this information given is excellent. I did notice however, that there is no mention of magnesium. A lack of magnesium will give you yellow leaves, that will eventually turn brown and die. The solution for a lack of magnesium is Epsom Salts. A good way to give your rose bush the magnesium it needs, plus a little boost, is to use the recipe for Rose Tea listed in this Forum under Organic Rose Care. I hope your rose is doing better, let us know how it goes, and what happens with your rose! :wink:

Hello FLORET!
There are a couple of things that can create cobwebs on the leaves of roses, and depending on what the leaf itself looks like, will tell us which one. If the leaf has any irregular shaped holes in them, or looked slightly rolled, this could be the larvae of the Tortrix Moth, although I don't think this is what you have.
If your leaf has a sort of bronzy look to the top of it, and a yellow color and cobwebs underneath, then you have red spider mites.
There are several other types of mites that attack roses, that are almost invisible to the naked eye, although if you held a piece of white paper under the leaf and tapped it, you would see what looks like pepper on your paper - the mites. These mites (as well as the red spider mites) leave fine webbing on the undersides of rose leaves, and suck juice out of the leaves, making the leaf discolored and possibly speckled looking. The leaf then turns brown and dies.

These mites can be eliminated by spraying the rose with insecticidal soap (ensure you spray the underside as well). Spray every couple of days until there is no longer any sign. Then spray your rose with Neem oil as a prevention (the oil coats the leaf).
Also, mites dislike humidity, and usually strike when it is hot and dry, so giving your rose a regular misting with water will help as well. Never spray your rose with anything in the full sun as you will burn the leaves.
Also ensure that your rose receives a deep, thorough watering, as plants that are water-stressed are an invitation to mites.
I hope you are successful in war on the mites and get back to us and let us know how it goes! :wink:

Val

Floret
Newly Registered

Hello again,
Thank you very much grandpasrose for your detailed
answer. I think on my rose are red mites. I will apply treatment on them them. I just shot a photo of the worst leaf from whole rose . this is the top side of the leaf.
https://snimka.bg/album.php?album_id=46311&photo=24 :cry:

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

You are very welcome Floret!! If you tap your leaves onto some white paper, and then look at them under a magnifying glass, if they are red, then yep, they are the red ones! They all do basically the same thing to your leaves, so it really doesn't matter which one it is. Best of luck, let us know how it goes, and feel free to stop in anytime! :wink:

Val

Return to “Rose Forum”