rocks911
Newly Registered

Miniature roses suggestions

I live in Dallas and am wanting to plant miniarature roses outside in a bed. The bed is about a foot and a half wide and about twenty five feet long. I don't think I want a standard rose bush because the bed is so narrow, and because its next to a walkway and I didnt want friends and family getting stuck with thorns so I figured a mini would do great.

The exposure is West so the bed gets afternoon intense sun, in Texas, so is there a specific species of mini roses that would work best?

My wife planted a mini rose in the bed at one end last year and although it hasnt lived through a summer yet it's looking pretty good. The mini she planted was a gift and it was purchased at Home Depot I think. It was very small, the kind you put next to your kitchen sink for example which is where it was until it started to fade so she planted it. I would like a whole bed of them but cant find them.

I have three trellis's and would like three climbing miniaratures for those areas of the bed and just regular mini's for the rest of the bed.

Any suggestions?

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

The mini and regular roses that I have selected do not complain about the intense Texas sun. When the weather turns hot, they sort of go into hibernation and reduce bloomage until there is a break in the temperatures. So try any varieties that you find for sale locally or mail order any that are winter hardy.

I do try to plant them by this time or earlier. To make sure they will make it, I tend to plant them before it gets hot. If that is not possible, keep them in the plastic pot, mulched and in a place where they get some wind protection. Then plant them in the Fall.

North Haven Gardens and Redenta's sells good plants for the area. Calloways did not have any minis in stock on my last visit 1-2 weekends ago. Other nurseries do too so check them out and see if they have something that you are looking for.

Keep an eye on the size of the bush and black spot resistance as some can get defoliated by b/s and end with few leaves. Some yellows, for example.

Return to “Rose Forum”