fluttermoth
Newly Registered

climbing roses and shade

Hi all; I'm a new but keen gardner and have a query about planting roses in shade.

I've just bought 2 climbing roses; a Crimson Glory and a Lady Hillingdon. I was going to plant them next to a 3 foot high wall that has fence to about 5 feet high above it. The fence gets lots of sun, but the wall is north facing and doesn't get any sun at all. Will the roses be alright here or should I put them somewhere where the whole plant is in the sun?

Thanks in advance

angel

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Areas that do not get direct sun may result in the roses becoming leggy or in roses that stretch towards the sun. If indirect light is strong enough, this may not be an issue though.

sparemyair

I agree with the previous post - I planted four rose climbers about a month back and except for one all others are in partial shade or mostly shade.

I got them started with Organic surestart so they are growing vigorously but stretching towards the sun. Once they are at the proper height, though, I can train them to climb on the fence so they'll get direct sunlight.

So if you feed them properly so they can outgrow the shaded region quickly, they should be fine. :flower:

fluttermoth
Newly Registered

Thank you for your replies :) That's put my mind at rest; I didn't want to kill the poor roses; I'm GREAT at killing plants :oops: :cry:

Return to “Rose Forum”