hay

OLD BLUSH china rose

I am trying to root cuttings from my old blush rose, but so far unsuccessful. I am using a potting mix of 1/2 composted cow manure and 1/2 regular potting soil. None of the hardwood or softwood cutting will root. Everything just withers and dies. The stem pieces are cut about 6 inches long and skinned slightly and dipped in rooting powder and placed in the damp potting mix. The rooting pot is a 1/2 soda jug and the top is slit to cover over the bottom to make a mini greenhouse to retain moisture. It is placed in the kitchen on a south facing windowsill, but NOT in direct sunlight. The cuttings last no more than a few days before they wilt and die. I simply MUST get some rootings because this rose is over 30 years old and is showing signs of declining. I need to start new plants to place in different areas. This particular rose was given to me by my grandmother. She had the original rose more than 60 years and I do not want to lose it. Help! Any advice is appreciated.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I know that the time of the year the cuttings are taken, which varies depending on the species of plant, can be critical. According to the author of this article, the best time for home gardeners to attempt to root rose cuttings is in the cool months of autumn. (I apologize in advance if you've already read this article and not had success with the technique.)

https://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/southerngarden/roseprop.html

I hope you will post about your various attempts. I would be very interested to learn what method ultimately succeeds for you. I have some very old rhodies and azaleas I want to propagate from cuttings, but my first attempt failed. At this point, further efforts will have to wait until next year, because I just had a total shoulder replacement at the end of March. :roll:
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

hay

I did try in the fall a few years ago and no sucess either. I thought it was supposed to be easy to get cuttings to root, but not in my case. I really have no idea what's wrong, but I desperately need to get some new plants off this bush to move to other locations. All the articles I read say it should be a snap to do this. I'll keep trying.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Our member hendi_alex has had good luck propagating lilacs from cuttings. I don't know if it will be of any help to you with your roses, but he posted some nice pics:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=72502&highlight=lilac+cuttings#72502

I do understand your sense of urgency with this project. It would be sad to lose such a plant as your rose. :(

Have you considered trying to air layer a branch? I've propagated shrubs that way, as well as by ground layering. I'm not sure whether roses lend themselves to those methods, though.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

Return to “Rose Forum”