sparemyair

Rose arbor - iron or wood?

Hi All, :flower:

I'd like to train my climbing rose plant over an arch over my front window. The size is about 10 feet tall and 6 feet wide. Is iron arbor better than wood? I do not know the exact variety of my climber but it blooms abundantly in singles and the stems are quite thick.

Also, I'd appreciate suggestions about where to get the best deal for arbors - ebay - local home depot or over the internet? How easy is it to assemble these things? What would be a decent price for a wood or iron arch of 10'X6'X1.5'?

Thanks.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Your main concern is low maintenance. Once the rose is growing over it, if it starts rotting or rusting or whatever, there's nothing you can do.

If you are going with wood, be sure it is cedar which is the most long lasting. If you are going with steel, it should be "powder-coated." The other choice these days is vinyl/PVC which gives some of the look of wood, but is indestructible and never loses its finish.

Here's an article about different types.

https://www.cleanairgardening.com/arborguide.html

Here's a sample of vinyl arbors:
https://www.gardenarborstore.com/vinyl-arbor-s/21.htm

I think they are the most durable and long lasting, but they are also the most expensive.

I have an arbor with a butterfly bush on one side and honeysuckle trumpet vine on the other, both pretty heavy duty plants. Being a cheapskate, I went with the least expensive arbor I could find which was one just about like this:

https://www.jacksonandperkins.com/gardening/PD/26976/

It was super easy to put up and has held up very well over the past seven years or so, though it is tending to lean a little bit under the weight. But no rust.

I think the choice comes down to how much money you want to spend and what looks best with your house. Especially for a front window, you really want something that goes with the style of your house and looks like it belongs there.

sparemyair

Useful links. I admired several arches that were white in color in my neighborhood and assumed they were wood - until now. I think some of them must be vinyl. It is going to be very difficult for me to make a choice between these beautiful arches :? and now the tough job of convicing the hubby that one is needed desperately :)

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

Just make sure a white arbor matches your house, most don't. I like iron cause it can get a nice aged look quickly, but we also have a country house. The most important part is making it match and last.

sparemyair

I have a cream-colored wall and chocolate brown color trimming for my windows - so I guess off-white arbor will kinda match the surroundings. Iron arbors look very pretty though. They do add a touch of rustic romance to the surroundings while wooden arbors look more manicured. My choice is getting tougher! :D

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

Make sure the off white matches the cream colored

Return to “Rose Forum”