Sandy Owens
Newly Registered

Planting climbing roses in planter box

I wanted to know if I could plant a climbing rose in a planter box. We just recently built a shed under our deck with a pergola over the entrance to the shed. I thought climbing roses would look great growing over the pergola and they would get plenty of sunshine. When I went to dig the hole to plant there was water filling the hole. So I was wondering if I could plant in a above ground planter, and it could literally be any size.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Unfortunately our rose expert is away for the time being. Hopefully someone will be able to provide you with an answer in the meantime.

JPIXI

Hello Sandy Owens,

It is a very good idea to plant climbing rose at the enterance. Below are some pointers that might give you a clearer picture of what and how you can do it.

Having climbing rose at the enterence not only will provide a lovely ambience, but if you choose a species which they have fragrance it gives additional values to your property. If your enterence pergola is very wide and high, choosing a species of rose with medium to large (majestic look)is more appropriate than small to mediu sizefeuillage ( for wood pergola with cottage ambience).

Always choose a species that is vigourous and with high disease resistence. Make sure you are able to place at least 40 litres of soil (for small to medium climber (with 2-3 m height) in the planter hole with good drainage. If the location is very sunny with afternoon sun, it may be advisable to choose a rose that has colours that are persistence and will not fade off quickly.

However, roses are not persistence in winter, which they loose all their feuillage. As for me, I plant Star Jasmine which keeps their feuillage besides my rose climber and they provide different season fragrance.

Hope it helps.

Please correct me if I am wrong guys.

Cheers,
Pixi

Sandy Owens
Newly Registered

Hi Pixi,

The climbing rose I am interested in is the Zephirin Drouhin. It is an antique rose with deep pink blooms. I have actually never seen this variety, just pictures, but what drew my interest is that it is nearly thornless and has a respberry fragrance. I know nothing about roses so I'm just making my choice based upon what little research I have done on the internet.

The pergola is approximately 8ft tall and 12 ft wide. I thought if I planted on each side that when they were mature at 10 to 12 ft the plants would nearly grow together.

Is there anything special I would need to do to protect the rose plant in the winter since it would be in a planter above ground. I also want to make sure I understand you correctly, are you saying the planter box should be about 6ft in height. I'm not good at conversion so I went to a conversion web site and 2m is about 6 1/5ft.

If the climbing roses will not work for this area, I would like to hear any other ideas that you might have. I would like to have something that flowers and can take afternoon sun.

Thank you for your help,
Sandy

JPIXI

Hi Sandy,

I am glad that you have already some ideas and information in hands.

Zephirin Drouhin is a real classic and I believe the reason to have choosen it is, it has nearly no thorn and it has very present fragrance.

However I must let you know that Zephirin Drouhin has soft, fine sterms and they really dislike afternoon sunlight. The strong sunlight fade off their cherry red petals. Zephirin Drouhin is more suitable for a site where you can have morning sun, and semi shade for their fragrance to travel around that corner. Besides, this species is very drought sensitive, they dislike dryness and it gives them black spot and mildew, all sorts of diseases that provokes by insufficiant water.

The container size you mentioned seem to be okay for climber, just make sure your soil drainage is good later when you plant your rose in. Container plant dislikes tape water (use rainwater as far as possible), and they do much better with some pine sheddings to cover their top soil to keep moist and cool. As in container, the plant get far lesser Aerobic Microherd and beneficial microbes activities, it is good to introduce blood meal after 2 months of plantation. Please be prudence with bloodmeal if your weather is very hot and dry, it might burn the plant if given too much during mid summer.

I am not living in USA therefore I am not in a good position to recommend you anything that is easily obtainable for you. When you look for rose, make sure you ask the rose nursery if it is a reflowering species too. Choose a species which has persistence colour to afternoon sun with good flower form that you can see their presence from far.

If you wish, you can code us a few of your selections and probably from there we can give you some information of your choices?

For any new roses planted, you need to protect them from their first winter to help them survive, no matter how strong is the rose. To protect them, it is really not very difficult. If you read up rose care on winter protect in the forum you will find a lot of useful tips there.

I am sure you will enjoy your effort in the year to come.

Cheers,
Pixi

arkansasrose

Sandy, I'm in Zone 6/7 and have grown ZD for several years. She is totally thornless..which is why I chose her for a walkthru arbor. Mine is situated where she gets full PM sun and she has been a good addition to my garden..the fragrance is wonderful. She's been totally hardy here and I think would do well in a planter. If you could raise her 12-18" above grade and leave the bottom open on the planter, she should do well. Mine has responded well to lots of water and feeding. I get some repeat thru the summer and then a nice fall flush. From this spring: [/img][url]https://pic12.picturetrail.com/VOL438/647794/9652985/140397862.jpg[/url]

Return to “Rose Forum”