tara_g
Newly Registered

rose buds not opening

Hi,

I am a novice gardener. I planted two climbing roses last year over trellis. They are both doing great this summer - except one of them have hundreds of buds, but they are not opening. It has been weeks. Other one is opening up and blooming. The plant looks healthy and have lots of foliage. Can you help ? :(

Tara

Grey
Greener Thumb

I'm no expert at roses, so I'm taking a stab in the dark & thinking your rose is missing some kind of nurtient in its soil. Val would know better, she could probably tell you what nutrient is missing and how much of it you need and how often... I'd get the soil tested & see if anything is lower than it ought to be for roses.

tara_g
Newly Registered

Thanks for your message. The weird thing is the rose next to this one is blooming well. So it cant be just the soil ? This one has lots of buds - but just doesn't want to open ...I sprayed some insecticide .. Don't know what else to do ..

meesh
Cool Member

Sometimes thrips get into the buds and they can cause the flowers not to open. There is usually some slightly reddish spotting accompanying them.
They are in the buds, so anything short of a systemic is ineffective.

Return to “Rose Forum”