noreen

essential oil against bugs & Co.

Hi,

he, this is my 3rd post in as many days :D

I just wanted to share an idea with you. This morning I got the idea of using essential oil to keep bugs and other critters away from my roses. I did a bit of research and found out that Patchouli and Cedarwood oil works good. So I took a bit of paperboard and wet it with Cedarwood oil. Put a cord through it and hung it in my roses. Careful of course. The smell of it should keep bugs away. At least I hope it does. Of course I don't know if it will also work on good insects. Guess so.

Other carrier material can be pieces of wood (maybe the most esthetic solution), cloth or maybe even leather. The important feature should be the ability to hold the oil.

Rain could be problematic as in washing the oil away. That's why a very absorbing material should work best.

Anyway, I'll keep you up to date about it. And I also want to try Patchouli oil. Maybe ground insence sticks in a cloth pouch work, too? *runs of*

cu

Grey
Greener Thumb

What a neat idea. At first when you said essential oil, I was afraid you meant to apply it ON the plant - which would be harmful.

But no, this sounds cool - please do keep us posted! :D

noreen

Hi Grey,

No, no of course I wound't apply it on the plant! I didn't mean to scare you, sorry. :oops:

*g* it's funny. When I enter the garden it smells like cedarwood all over :D Our roses are fairly strewn about the garden. But I like the smell.

I hope I'll have some results for you within a coupla days.

take care

Grey
Greener Thumb

I am very much interested in the results. Viel Gluck!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Rain would not wash the oil away as oil is not water soluble so, you are fine there.

noreen

Hi Opa,

yeah, guess you're right. I think the problem will be the paperboard I used. It did rain all through the night (of COURSE it did, right on time when I'm testing something :cry: ). I haven't yet checked on it, but I guess it will be all soggy and dripping wet. We'll see.

noreen

hi folks,

here's a quick update on the essential oils vs. aphids issue. bad news: so far it doesn't sem to work. :( I placed several paperboards directly next to already infected or very young growth (it seems to be particulary prone to aphids). The infected buds don't show any improvment and the new growth became infected.

But I'm not entierly sure it's the oil that failed. It could also have been the weather. It did rain heavily after I installed the paperboards and it was generally cloudy all the time till now. So the smell mightn't have had the time to develope properly or reach far enough. On the other side I can still smell the oil when I'm really near to the paper boards. And instects do have a better sence of smell, don't they?

Or I simply choose the wrong oil. Who knows.

Anyway, I'll let them hanging there. Maybe there'll be clearer results once the weather gets warmer and more stable.

I'll keep you updated.

Grey
Greener Thumb

Well, maybe just experiment with different ones.

I had tried sprinkling orange essential oil on my dog's beds to keep fleas away... it worked to an extent. It could be a matter of experimenting with different oils too. Good luck! I may try this too :)

noreen

Yeah, I dunno if essential oils will work with aphids at all. It's said to work with flies, fleas and midges and such. But that's something different from aphids I guess.

About different oils: a friend of mine said tea-tree oil will work good. But that stuff is veeery expensive. And every citrusy oil is said to work, too. Patchouli, Cedar too. But it's hard to find any information about repelling qualities expecially against aphids.

Guess I'll wait for better weather and risk suspending neem oil on one or two plants and try anew.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Hi Noreen the best way to be rid of aphids is soapy water.

On the essential oils front,

essential oils are secondary metabolites produced by plants and the reason why various plants secrete these essential oils is not always known. But, a little research will elucidate the effects of various essential oils (some are produced to reduce insect herbivory).

noreen

Hi Opa,

I'm applying neem oil now. Hopefully the rain won't undo my efforts @__@ I'm uncomfortable with applying soapy water to my roses, though. :?

Return to “Rose Forum”