Sandrad2010
Newly Registered

Can I plant roses now?

I live in North Georgia and we just had snow and they are calling for it again tonight. I am new to growing roses and would really like to know if it is ok to plant them now. I bought several about 2 weeks ago and have had them inside, still in the wrapping they were purchased in and now they look as if they are coming out of dormancy. Can I plant them now or should I wait until the last chance of frost has passed?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I wouldn't advise planting them while you have snow on the ground. I recommend waiting until all danger of frost is past in your area.

It would be a good idea to move the roses to the coolest place you can provide. A basement or unheated garage should work nicely.

Welcome to the forums! It's nice to have you with us! :)

Sandrad2010
Newly Registered

Thanks so much....I will definitely move them to a cooler area. One more question if you don't mind, should I leave them in bags they came in or go ahead and put them in soil until I can plant them outside? Thank you again so much for the reply

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I think I would leave them in the bags. The purpose of the plastic is to prevent the plant from becoming dehydrated. I doubt it would do any harm to put the roots in soil, but it might cause the plants to start to grow. Again, there would really be no harm in that, except that they would be more likely to suffer transplant shock when you finally move them to their permanent home in your garden. Even if that happened, the roses would very likely survive. They're pretty hardy little souls. :)

Sandrad2010
Newly Registered

Awesome!!! :D Thank you so much :D

anja

I got myself 3 climbing roses a few weeks ago and decided to plant them in a big pot indoors to give them a headstart before planting them outdoors when it gets a bit warmer. I spoke to someone today who knows a lot about gardening and was advised to just put them outdoors for a few hours at the time in the plantpot before fully planting them outdoors (once the frost is gone) to get them used to it slowly. I only put them in the plantpot about a week ago and they are in the frontroom under the window so far they have grown about 7inches cant belive how fast they grow.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I bought 3 climbing roses today. They were in the store, nice and warm, and they took off growing, of course. I looked all around for some outside in the colder temps, that weren't growing, there were none.

So, I brought them home anyhow. We are having decent days, but we are not clear of our frost date at this point.
I am thinking of placing them where they get light, but no heat, otherwise totally protected to gradually move them towards outside temps.

I have about a month, at least, do I leave them in plastic bags, even though they are growing for this long?

I have a track record of killing them quickly.

Return to “Rose Forum”