Sunshine
Newly Registered

Miniature Roses

Hi all, I have been lurking around for a while and finally decided to register up and say HI!!!!!!!!!

I bought my first miniature rose today. It's a Weeks Nursery rose called "neon cowboy". I planted it in full sun with an organic compost mixture for soil, it's all watered in. Now I was wondering if I am supposed to dead head this little beauty? Any special tips on growing it?

Sunshine :D

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Sunshine,

Welcome!! I love your name. I used to call my daughter that and sometimes still do!

Yes, you should definately dead head. Otherwise treat it as you would any other rose. I find that I have to prune mine back to live wood in the spring and I'm in zone 7 too.

Btw, that is some rose you started with!! What a beauty.
Newt

Sunshine
Newly Registered

Thank you Newt for responding. I love that rose I got and it's doing well so far. It called out to me at the store, buy me, buy me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We had so much rain here in the PNW this past winter it killed one of my roses completely, another really struggled to come out. And I had put wood chips all around the roses and they really held all that rain in and the roses didn't like it one bit, so next fall I am not sure what I will do. Maybe pine straw, I dunno.

As far as the name, I have been called that alot, and I love being outside in it. You take care and again thanks for the help.

Newt
Greener Thumb

You are so very welcome! I've actually had plants call me by name when I'm shopping. Then I get attacked by the disease 'jump in your cart-itis'! :shock:

You might want to consider planting your roses a bit high so the water runs away from the root zone in winter. Maybe you could put down the mulch a bit thinner around the outer edges to make water flow away from the root zone in winter for those already planted.

Enjoy your rose and hope you have a sunnier spring.
Newt

Return to “Rose Forum”