redhot
Newly Registered

roses in pots

Is there anything different involved in planting roses in pots? Any particular pot, type of rose, etc.?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Different from ... ?

Cynthia

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I've only grown miniature roses in pots, but that doesn't mean it's impossible to grow regular-sized roses in containers of the proper size. I've just not done it myself. :)

redhot
Newly Registered

I have never really seen roses planted in pots other than the plastic pot in can come in when you buy it. But that seems the same to me as a tree coming in a burlap bag-you don't leave the tree in the bag; they are just ways of transportation. I was thinking about potting hybrid teas. They would be okay in a big enough pot? Would being in a pot hinder them in any way?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I think lots of people grow roses in containers. I especially see tree-form roses done that way, but I'm sure tea roses would be fine. The main thing is to be sure that the container is large enough. Also you didn't say where you are located. If you are in a cold winter area, plants in pots freeze harder than ones in the ground and are more susceptible to freeze thaw cycles. You may need to bring your container into a garage or somewhere protected for the winter, or at least pile hay around it or something for extra winter protection...

Here's a little article about roses in containers:

https://www.rosemagazine.com/pages/containers.asp

redhot
Newly Registered

Thanks Rainbow! :D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Did you have Alabama showing before and I just missed it, or did you add that? No matter, you can disregard all that about cold winter protection! I would think you don't really have enough cold enough of the time to worry about. Lucky you! :)

redhot
Newly Registered

I added it just after you mentioned it, so it would be usable for future questions. Thanks again. :)

Return to “Rose Forum”