bixa525
Newly Registered

Need Rose Suggestions

I need a fairly lowgrowing rose or similar plant to put in front of the border. Would a groundcover rose do the job? I was looking at the J&P Happy Chappy or Gooseberry roses.

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Hi Bixa525!! Groundcover roses are probably not the best choice for a border rose. They are meant to spread, and do by putting down roots anywhere the branches touch soil.
I have looked up a few suggestions for you that you might consider. These are all commercially available roses, so you should be able to get them.

Sweet Pea
Polyantha with mauve blend blooms, moderate fragrance, average diameter 1.25". Small, full (26-40 petals), flowers in large clusters that bloom continuously throughout the season. Short, compact growth habit. Small, semi-glossy, medium green foliage. it's height is 24" to 36". Used for beds and borders, container rose,or garden. Zone 6 and higher.

Deanne Ross
Shrub, with pink blend blooms, strong fragrance, average diameter 4". Medium, very full (41+ petals), flowers in small clusters that occasionally repeat later in the season. Short, spreading growth habit. Medium, matte, dark green foliage. Height of 36" to 4'. Used for beds and borders, garden.

Fortuna
Floribunda with salmon-pink and white with yellow center blooms, no fragrance, average diameter 1.5". Small, single (4-8 petals), cluster-flowered blooms. Occasionally repeats later in the season. Compact, dense, well-branched growth habit. Small, dark green foliage. Height of 20" Used for beds and borders .

Rotilia
Floribunda with dark crimson-red blooms, moderate, spicy fragrance, average diameter 2". Small, semi-double (9-16 petals), cluster-flowered blooms. Occasionally repeats later in the season. Bushy, compact, upright growth habit. Medium, glossy, dark green foliage. Height of 24" Used for beds and borders.

Preference
Floribunda with scarlet-red blooms, no fragrance. Medium, double (17-25 petals) blooms. Continuous blooming throughout the season. Compact growth habit. Dark green foliage. Used for beds and borders, container rose or garden.

Sunrise Sunset
Shrub with pink blend blooms, none-to-mild fragrance. average diameter 2.5". Medium, semi-double to double (13-19 petals), cluster-flowered blooms. Continuously blooms throughout the season. Short, dense, spreading growth habit. Used for beds and borders, container rose, garden. Zone 4 thru 9.

Let me know what you think, and I can suggest others if this isn't what your are looking for, there are lots to choose from! :wink:

Val

Return to “Rose Forum”