jess08060
Newly Registered

Container Roses?

I have some huge containers that I was thinking about planting a rose and something else in each, should I do this, or should I put the roses in the container by themselves?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I think it would be alright to plant something in with the roses, as long as whatever plant you choose likes the same type of soil, amount of water, light exposure, etc. as the rose.

I think I would also choose a plant that was tolerant of the same temperatures, so it wouldn't have to be dug up for the winter. Digging would disturb the rose's roots, which it might not appreciate. One option would be just to plant a few annuals in the container every spring. :)

WiseOldGnome
Newly Registered

In my experience, I've found that roses have a very fine network of surface feeder roots. For example, if you heavily mulch around the rose and then remove the mulch, you'll see the fine roots clearly. Every time I've cultivated around a rose, the resulting root damage has caused suckers to grow. When a root has become damaged through cultivation (such as planting annuals around it), it also causes the rose to expend energy regrowing new roots to repair the damage.

So, in short, roses do really well in big containers but need to be left alone. Don't plant anything under them.

redhot
Newly Registered

WiseOldGnome wrote:Every time I've cultivated around a rose, the resulting root damage has caused suckers to grow.
What do you mean by suckers?

Return to “Rose Forum”