Jolaedana
Newly Registered

Need to move a few climbing roses, advice?

Hello all!

We've just moved into a house, and there are a few climbing roses in the garden that bloomed wonderfully this summer.

It looks to me like they've been allowed to grow without support for a few years now. The previous owner didn't put on trellises or have up against anything, and now that the gusty winds of fall are here, I am worried that the canes will break with the wind and snow over the winter.

I am wanting to move them to trellises and tie them up. I understand fall is the best time to move roses, and have read that you should cut them back to 1 ft canes when you do so- this doesn't seem right to me for climbing roses, so I thought I would ask for any advice any of you might have.

Thanks in advance!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm not any kind of an expert on roses, but here's a little article about transplanting overgrown climbing roses:

https://www.hgtv.com/landscaping/transplanting-climbing-roses/index.html

Jolaedana
Newly Registered

Thanks for the article! They definitely fit the bill. :)

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

Roses always require pruning. Since you live in a cold climate, pruning your roses before frost is appropriate. I would wait until early spring to transplant. However, I'm a West Coast Rose grower with little to no frost.

My suggestion is to find out the type of climbing rose you have to make sure you are moving them to a good location. The article Rainbow linked you to had some good tips. Happy gardening!

Return to “Rose Forum”