JPIXI

Climbing roses

Hi guys,

Lately, I read about the difficuties of climbers to bloom, and among them is the Climbing Peace(called in US) or MME Antoine Meilland (Original name).

I have planted 2 of them that I hope they will perform well with an allocation with 3 hours of morning sun and 2 hours of afternoon sun.

Heard that this climber version is notorious for not flowering or not worth the effort? I hesitate should I replace the roses before I spend years waiting for result. Could you guys advise please?

Thanks a bunch.
Pixi

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Hi PIXI!!!

I have looked at everything I have and the only reference there is to any problem with the climbing Peace is that it is slow to bloom UNTIL IT IS ESTABLISHED, but is then a prolific bloomer. So if you are willing to be patient for a year or so, I think I'd hang in there. They would be worth it in the end I think.

Also, this rose is known by several names: Peace, Madame A. Meilland, Gloria Dei, and Gioia.
There is quite an interesting and romantic story behind why it has all these names, and why the world has for the most part settled on the name "Peace".
When this rose was first bred, it's bud wood was given only the name Meilland test plant #3-35-40. It was shipped out of France by it's breeder in 1939, just as the war was taking over Europe. There were only three packages of the rose to actually make it to it's destination: one to Germany, one to Italy, and one to the American consulate in Lyons. The package received by the American Consulate was carried by diplomatic pouch, to a Mr. Conrad Pyle in the United States, the last pouch to get out before the consulate was closed because of the war.
For nearly five years, communications were nearly impossible, and once the Meilland family discovered that their rose packages had survived, they found that it had been given different names by each country.
Out of the three names, Goiai, Gloria Dei, and Mme A. Meilland, the family obviously preferred the name for their family, but they allowed all of them to remain. The name that truly caught on was the name given by Mr. Pyle from the U.S., symbolizing the greatest wish of the world at that time - "Peace".

Rien ne peut être meilleur que l'"paix" mon ami rose, le maintiennent!
Bonsoir!

Val

JPIXI

Merci mille fois Val!

Thank you for your comforting and assuring reply. What a sensitive and thoughtful woman you are!

I will be patience to see the bloom later. Anyway, as their foillage is extremely gorgeous, it is a great pleasure to appreciate even there is no bloom yet.

I have chosen this climbing Peace because of it's beautiful history and its hardy nature too. They are planted near to a 'cliff' in my garden just near to a celtic arch to create a harmony but demure luscious ambience.

As this location has extremely deep, dry and hot, my choice of roses are not generous, giving consideration to my Rimosa and Dee Dee Bridgewater just around the celtic arch. Due to the Rimosa and Dee Dee Bridgewater rose shape and colour, I am oblige to match a species that has both yellow and pink with enormous size. Finally, I have chosen MME A. Meilland.

You are right Val, our world really need peace now.

Merci encore Val!
Pixi

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

You are very welcome Pixi!!
I am glad to hear that you have chosen to keep the Mme A. Meilland roses, as I believe you will be well rewarded with gorgeous blooms!

Paix à vous, mon ami! :wink:

Val

Return to “Rose Forum”