hay

rose not growing

I have an "Angel Face" rose bush. the poor little thing is just sitting there and not growing at all. no new growth, no buds, no blooms, nothing. just sitting there, still green and alive, but no growth. all the other roses in the same area are growing, blooming. this poor pitiful little angle face has not put on any growth this year at all. had one bloom back in june and that's it. it has been fertilized, composed, mulched, in a good area for sun, watered when dry, and no apparent insect infestations. all other roses in the same area have grown 2-4 foot this year and bloomed like crazy, but this one is about 12" high only. it is supposed to be a regular rose bush, but no growth. normally, I don't have any problem with roses not growing, but this one has me stumped. I can find no problem, except it is not growing. what gives here? any help would be greatly appreciated. :?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It's a mystery! Your post pretty well eliminates all the usual suspects we would think of, especially given that other rose bushes near it are doing well.

If you don't mind taking a chance on traumatizing it further, since it isn't doing anything anyway, the only thing I can think of is dig it up and take a look at the roots. Since there's nothing showing on the surface, it suggests the problem is in the roots. Perhaps there's some localized drainage problem (my clay soil that sometimes happens that you get a little underground pocket that holds water) and the roots are too wet or there's some kind of root parasite or something else that inspection will show...

Perhaps others more expert on roses than I am will have other ideas...

hay

I believe I am going to dig it and put into a container, but not until december at earliest. the weather is still too warm here. I hope it makes it that long. this is a puzzling problem for me. thanks for the quick reply.

GeorgiaGirl

Good suggestion to take a look at the roots.

Also, what kind of fertilizer have you been using on it? I planted three Flower Carpet rose bushes as well as a Camellia a few months ago and initially used just an organic starter fertilizer (with the idea that I wanted them to put their effort into establishing roots, not necessarily putting out leafy growth or flowers at first).

All four shrubs basically "sat" there, like you've described... not dying or shedding leaves, but not putting out any new leaves whatsoever. So a couple of weeks ago, I gave them organic fertilizer specific to their needs, and now, finally, a few days ago I started seeing ALL kinds of fresh new leaves sprouting and the roses and putting out buds and flowers like crazy. So, depending on when you last fertilized and what type of fertilizer you used, maybe it's time for a feeding with something organic and specific to roses?

hay

well, since the last posting on here, the angel face rose has started to put on some new growth. albeit it is small growth, but growth nontheless. maybe it just was slightly 'dormant' in our intensely hot summer here. I hope now it will pick up and start growing again. it does produce a very fragrant bloom. I had been fertilizing with composted horse manure and a bit of blood/bone meal mix. thanks to all who responded.

Return to “Rose Forum”