a0c8c
Greener Thumb

Possibly dead Rose bush

Hola compadres, I have another question about my rose bush. Some might remember my other post about it dieing back, and what I should do about it. Well, it hasn't had anything grow back yet, and I'm debating whether or not I should dig it up and inspect it some. But in the mean time I wanted to get ya'lls opinion on what I should. Wait til next year and see if it comes back, add some natural/organic rose food to see if it wakes up(it's still quite hot here), or dig it up and inspect it.

Here's the link to the last topic. I trimmed off all the thin branches all the way back to the thick stem, but since there wasn't much left I didn't want to prune any further.
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17760

Here's the plant food I'd use: https://maestro-gro.com/roseglo6-8-4.aspx

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't know a lot about roses. I'm an organic gardener and my feeling about roses is without a lot of chemicals, they take too much fussing over.

But since no one else has responded yet, here's my contribution: In general when you are trying to bring a plant back from problems is not a good time to fertilize it. What you most want is for it to develop a good healthy root system and to heal itself, so you don't want to force it to put out a bunch of new growth. Be sure it's in good rich organic soil.

I can't recommend digging it up and inspecting, since that will just inflict further trauma. If it were mine, having already trimmed it back, I would just keep it well watered and mulched and let it rest until spring, see what happens.

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

I'll do that then. I didn't want to force anything, just make sure it's still alive. It seems kinda "loose" in the soil, so I'm hoping the roots haven't all died. It was also gonna be a natural/organic fertilizer. Don't worry, I'm completely through with chemicals

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

When you cut it back, did you examine the pith of each stem as you went? *That* is how you can tell for sure whether there's any life left in the plant.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

NOt entirely sure what you mean, but I cut it all the way back to the main "stock" and removed all branches. I can cut the main "stock" and see if there's green wood, but I wasn't sure what the best way would be. I'll post a picture of it tommorrow when it's light out.

Return to “Rose Forum”