dieanha
Newly Registered

LITTLE GREEN BUGS ON MY ROSES!!!!

This morning I went out to check on my rose garden and I noticed little green bugs, at first I thought they were eggs than I notice that they moved. I spary my rose every other week with Immunox Insect & Disease. Not all of my roses have them. They seem to be on the new growth and the buds. And it seems as thou they got there over night. I just dead head a few days ago and the were not there than. What should I do?? Am I using the wrong thing? :( :(

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I am not familiar with Immunox Insect & Disease but, a weekly dose of Neem Oil should clear up the problem.

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Hi Dieanha! The little green bugs you are referring to are aphids. They are attracted to the new growth and buds of plants, usually because this is where the highest nitrogen level is in the plant. For the longer term, I would use some fish emulsion or seaweed on your roses to help stabilize the nitrogen levels and then they won't be as inviting to those little critters.

Immunox is put out by a company call Spectracide, and contains the toxic chemicals myclobutanil, and permethrin. These chemicals (even their label says so) are toxic to humans and animals - and every other living thing on earth! What you are doing when spraying with this is not only killing all the bad things you don't want on your roses, but also all the good things that help them as well, so they are left with no defense at all themselves. :cry:

Here on the Garden Forum, we don't encourage chemical use, and prefer to use organic methods in our gardening. To initially get a large amount of aphids off of your roses, I would give them a really good spray from above and under with the hose and wash off as many as you can. Then, Opa is right in suggesting that you would be better using a spray of Neem oil, mixed as directed on the container, once a week.

I would also suggest, if you would like to pursue a more organic way of gardening, that you read a few of the posts in the two rose forums and the organic forum, and they will give you plenty of information for growing without chemicals! :D

I hope this has helped, and feel free to stop in any time if you have further questions or just want to chat!! :wink:

Val

dieanha
Newly Registered

Thanks Everyone. I am new to Rose Gardening I start a year or so ago. I live in south florida and growing roses here is alot of work, but I just love them. I think I got these things for some new mini Rose I bought. they seem to be on two or three of the newer plants. Most of my older plants don't have them over have every few. I did spary them with a strong water jet from the hose and also picked some of them off. Can I find the items at a home dept or lowes? :D :D

dieanha
Newly Registered

I'm wonderif I'm fertilizing to much. Here in south florida Rose blooming most of the year. I'm miralce growing my rose evey two weeks.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Miracle Grow is a synthetic fertilzer that is water soluble. I (and we) personally recommend using organic (carbon based) fertilizers that are not washed away during rains and will not burn your plants. And even though, not all the fertilizers are "organic" check out the ferilizing post that I think is still a sticky.

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Hi Dieanha! Yes, you can probably get what you need at a Home Depot or your local garden centre.
When you bring new plants into your garden, you should check them first for any bugs or diseases, as this quite often happens - they come home with you.
When you fertilize with products like Miracle Grow, you are giving your plants a quick jolt of fertilizer. That fertilizer does not stay in the soil, but is washed away with the rain, and when you water, so the soil is not improving at all. That is why you have to keep using it so regularly.

If you were to add amendments to your soil, as are suggested in the Organic Rose Care Forum or the Organic Forum, your plants would have a constant source of nutrients that are not washed away.
There are also a number of nutrient enriching recipes on both of these forums to give your plants some of the good things they need to become strong and healthy plants.
Using the organic way is cheaper, and lasts longer - like forever!! 8)

Hope this helps and feel free to stop back in if you have any further questions. :wink:

Val

Return to “Rose Forum”