grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

I got new roses!

Just braggin'! I just scooped two new roses! Not that I can plant them yet - it's still winter here! :lol:
My parents were on their way home from their condo in Hawaii, and decided to stop in and see my favourite rose breeder in Vancouver, Brad Jalbert. He isn't even open for business yet because, as I said it's winter. But my Dad charged right on in (it's a family owned farm/business) saying he was buying roses for his daughter way up in Quesnel (six hundred miles away), and would not have another chance. Then of course, Brad knew who he was talking about, as I have bought roses through him for years.
So wonderful Brad went out into the field, my dad traipsing behind, and dug my own root roses up right then! Brad is such a sweetheart. He can never turn down a true rose gardener! :lol:
So my parents returned home with Rosemary Harkness, a salmon/pink blend floribunda with a very strong, sweet fragrance (this is always a must for any rose I buy).
The other they brought was Frederic Mistral, a soft pink Meilland hybrid tea, also strongly fragrant, that when it opens, looks like a David Austin.
Of course they are still dormant and sitting in my cold room, but I can't wait to add them to my garden!! :D

Val
Last edited by grandpasrose on Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

That's great Val! That is what is so great about dealing with local farmers/farms and businesses.

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Ain't that the truth! 8)
Then he sends me an e-mail, telling me how nice it was to meet my parents!!! After they just dragged him out into the muddy field he wasn't even supposed to be doing yet!! :lol:
Gotta like the local ones!

Val

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

You see, that's what I am talking about, You never that sort of response from Walmart or Home Depot.

I love going to buy my vegetables from Michels here on the Island because they all know my name and greet me when I walk in the door, sometimes they give me stuff for free (but, that doesn't really matter) and I often bring them my baking. Much nicer.

Vern taught me how to graft appple and other fruit trees (for free) and the list goes on.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

There are a lot of us in this industry who are here because we are gardeners first and foremost. Sounds like Brad is such a man...

Good luck with the new ones Val. Any idea on where that name Rosemary Harkness comes from? We have a state park near here called Harkness; an old family estate turned over to the state to preserve the gardens, as the Harknesses were hardcore garden folk. Made me wonder...

HG

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Scott, your Harkness's may be descendents, but the rose Harkness's are in England.
The first Harkness rose, "Mrs. Harkness" was bred in 1893, although the company, R. Harkins & Company, did not really get going until the 50's. Jack Harkness was the patriarch of the breeders, followed by sons Peter, Phillip and Robert. Together, they have bred 289 roses.
The rose I got, "Rosemary Harkness" was bred in 1985, and named after Peter's daughter. Many of the Harkness roses have been named after a particular family member.
This one is a beautiful rose, and I hope I can do her justice! :wink:

Val

Return to “Rose Forum”