JPIXI

Old wood blooms

Hi Guys,

I have heard from an old rose farmer that certain roses bloom better with larger and more beautiful on old wood, for example New Dawn. I wonder how do we tell which can be pruned sparingly and which must be pruned deeper?

Cheers,
Pixi

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Bonjour Pixi!!

There is no "list" that will tell you which rose to prune and which one not to, but there are some guidelines you can follow to help you decide which is right for your own roses.

The minimum pruning you should do on any rose every year includes removing any dead, diseased, damaged or interfacing canes (canes that cross each other, rub each other, or grow into the centre of your bush).

If your rose is mature, remove about two of the oldest, unproductive canes, but don't take out too many. The energy for the rose is stored in the canes to get going in the spring, so if you take out too many canes, it will have a tougher time getting going.
If your rose hasn't been pruned for a while, don't prune it back all at once. Remove the canes over two years, one third per year. This will lessen the shock to the bush, and leave enough canes to have the energy to get restarted in the spring.
In general, tender roses need more pruning than hardy roses.

- A severe pruning is recommended every year for hybrid teas, grandifloras and floribundas to ensure the centre is opened and a nice vase shaped bush is left. They should be pruned to leave 4-6 buds on 4-6 canes.
- Shrub and old garden roses usually just need thinning and shaping. Only prune these in the spring. You can prune up to one quarter of the old un-productive canes every year on mature bushes. Also remove any thin and twiggy branches and any shoots lying on the ground. Shorten extra long canes.
- Do not prune climbing roses until they are two or three years old. Every year, remove one or two of the oldest canes (older than three years) and trim the lateral branches to 2-3 buds per lateral branch. Long canes should be pruned to stay in bounds.
- Rambling roses produce long lateral branches from the canes that have just bloomed. Next years flowers will come on this new growth. Prune out any canes that are not producing these long lateral branches, after flowering is finished. Prune lateral branches to 2-3 buds from the stem, and remove one or two of the oldest canes to rejuvenate the bush.

I hope this helps a bit. I know it is not a "list" rose by rose, but should give you a pretty good idea of what to do with your own individual roses.

Il fait si beau de parler des roses encore avec mon jardinier rose de beau Français!! :D

Val

JPIXI

Hi Val,

So nice to hear from you again and thanks for your detail advices.

The few new climbing roses I planted last October were growing very fast and there were too many new shoots everywhere and in all directions. The shoots are growing so fast and so long that makes me wonder should I or should I not cut them off to focus their growth, before your suggestions.

There are a few old rose trees which have a few non productive (not dead) branches which I will go ahead cutting them off. Thank you so much for your assurance.

Oh yes, my new climbing rose Palais Royal has already reach 58cm since planted early March this year. This new species of climbing rose is incredibly strong and vigorous, unbelievable.

Bonne siorée mon ami :wink:

Amitié,
Pixi

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Your roses must know how much you love them!! You certainly have a special touch with them. I am glad they are doing so well for you! 8)

Bonsoir, mon ami,

Val

JPIXI

Thanks Val!

Val, the Palais Royal and a few other climbers are having far too many new shoots on their branches. I notice that 3 to 4 shoots are advisable, on single branch, does it means, we are going to cut off those excess ones? What a waste.... I should choose to keep those shoots from the lowest part of the branch, am I right?

Bonweekend!
Pixi

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

It means that on each lateral branch off of the main canes, you should prune them back to only have the 3-4 shoots closest to the main canes. So you are shortening your lateral branch, not just removing the shoots.

Sometimes, if you are wanting the rose to grow in a particular direction, and there are no canes in that spot, you can choose a lateral branch to let grow, then becoming a main cane, and having it's own lateral branches. But I wouldn't do this to too many, as the bush will not be able to keep them all up.

I know it seems like a waste, and I find it hard to face as well, but by pruning them back, you are ensuring that you are getting a much larger, healthier bloom. :wink:

Bonsoir mon ami!!

Val

JPIXI

Merci Val!!

Excuse me for being naggy here. What if after I have shorten the branch to keep 3 shoots and there are more shoots showing up again later on the already shorten branch? Should I cut them (the new shoots) off to keep only 3 (already growing shoots) for the sake of better and stronger shoots?

I wonder the espom salt should should after the fesrtilizing to promote more flowering. Should I only use on spraying to keep the folliage strong and diseases away only?

For climber wise, they usually will not bloom during the first year. Can I supply them with Epsom salt consistantly to aid their growth?

Bon weekend Val!
Pixi

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Bonjour Pixi!!
You are certainly not being naggy! :roll: It has been so quiet on the rose forum the last couple of months, it's nice to get some posts again!

It's up to you whether or not you want to continue taking off new shoots after the initial pruning. If you just want roses for the sake of roses, and don't really care about how big the flower is, then leave the shoots (unless they are going wild all over the place of course!). But if you are looking for the biggest flowers - there will be fewer of course, then you should keep taking the shoots off.

Epsom salts should be part of your fertilizing routine. You don't need to apply it all the time, but you should include it intermittently. You can spray with Epsom as often as you normally spray, along with the epsom applied with your fertilizing.

The only thing you should be giving a new rose for it's first fertilizing of the year is bone meal. It is at the next fertilizing (typically near the beginning of June) that you can begin including things like Epsom salts in your fertilizing of the new roses. You can, of course, use the epsom salts in spraying them, if you are preventing a problem like blackspot, etc.

Hope this straightens things out for you! :wink:

Ayez un beau dimanche, mon ami de rosey!

Val

JPIXI

Thanks a bunch Val!

Yes, you are right, I do wish to have very big blooms for a few climbers and I do not mind if I get fewer flowers. This is because for these few climbers, they have nearly 100 petals each flower. If I were to have many of them and all in smaller sizes, they will risk to wither off before they have a chance to bloom completely.

Bonne soirée,
Pixi

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Sounds like a good plan then! Of course, you can always change your mind later - nothing is ever set in stone in gardening! :lol:

Bonsoir,

Val

Return to “Rose Forum”