Flwrlover
Newly Registered

Should I Prune Newly Planted Climbing Rose?

prune a tremendous growth 'stalk' on my newly planted climbing rose bush?

This yellow rose floribunda? bush (lost the ID tag) was planted in late May 2009. It took to the eastern partial sun/shade spot I picked for it as evidenced by lots of flowering, lots of new growth, etc.

The stalk as I call it is seven feet high now and shooting out all kinds of new growth of its own. Its diameter is greater than one of those giant pencils that kids use. It's not a root sucker as it grew beside a stub and above the bud union. I planted the union a few inches below soil in order that the roots of the bush have no exposure.

My concern is that most of the soil nutrients are going to this stalk and the rest of the bush is being deprived...although the rest of the bush looks pretty hardy. Should I prune the stalk down a few feet to provide balance for appearance sake or let this stalk 'go to town'? The new trellis behind the bush is eight feet in height.

Thanks in advance for any input from anybody out there!
-Flwrlover

Flwrlover
Newly Registered

Thanks for your reply and for the nudge! I cut the stalk down..funny, I felt bad about it for some reason..such a magnificent growth. The rest of the bush will now flourish. Gave it a gallon of fertilizer for good measure.
-fl

Return to “Rose Forum”