JPIXI

Season to start planting new roses?

Hello Guys!

I have 3 roses that I have not planted (Climber) to the ground before winter.

They are doing fabulously in their plastic wrapper that I occassionally give them spray of water. I wonder is it okay to plant them now?

I suspose, they are considered new even they are at least one year old before being allowed to be sold. They came with moisted soil in plastic wrapper with a lot of roots. I wonder, can I go ahead with normal compost and fertilising, or do I only provide bone meal alone?

The temperature in France is back to Spring season this week at around 8 to 12°c, and there should not be expecting snow.

I am so excited this year, as there will be a lot of new species available in the market, for example Liv Taylor, the main source of the perfume very Iresistible by Givenchy". And Palais Royal that is believed to be a "Very strong and vigorous climber, that cannot be stopped from flowering very abundantly with over 100 petals each flower. So many more... I really cannot wait to witness their beauty.

Thank you in advance.

Cheers,
Pixi

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Bonjour Pixi!

Before planting your roses, you should ensure that the ground temperature is warm as well as the air temperature. Check the soil temperature, and if it is colder than your air temperature, wait until it warms up.
Also, I am assuming that you have kept these roses in some sort of protected area for the last few months, so you will need to harden them off a bit so they are not shocked. To do this, place your roses outside for a couple of hours, and then bring them back in. Increase the time every day, and contine this for about a week, then you can plant.
Before planting, soak the roses still in their plastic in a pail of water overnight, to loosen them from the wrapper, make the roots a little less brittle so there is less breakage, and to prevent shock.
Then gently cut away the plastic wrapper, and plant your rose.

Yes, you should only plant it with some bonemeal and a bit of compost, as the bonemeal will make the roots develop more quickly, establishing a good base for your bush, which is the most important.
You can include it in your regular feeding routine after about a month or so.

You sound so excited about the new roses Pixi! I think you have the rose bug! It's dangerous you know - and very hard to get rid of! It can get you in lots of trouble with your bank account, your time, space, etc. But I can think of better bugs to have!!! Enjoy! :wink:

Val

JPIXI

Bonjour Val!

Thanks a bunch Val! Thanks for the details on the temperature. I have noticed, despite the temperatre is warmer, the soil is still very cold. I shall wait another week for the sunlight to warm the ground, before planting them.

I have increased the exterior exposure for almost 2 weeks gradually. Presently, they are placed in a moist clay pot cover with synthetic fibre for better ventilation, protection from cold wind and allowing some sunlight to penetrate.

Val, I guess that I have already contracted the rose fever. These days, I can vaguely remember all basic species of roses cultivated in France by the two giant rose distributors.

It is a good bug to have, at least it is a healthy hobby, and it cultivate my patience, consciousness of nature and gain plenty of warm hearted rose lover friends.

Amitié,
Pixi

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

You're very welcome Pixi!
Yes, if your soil is still cold, better wait a bit. It's kind of like us going to bed in the winter with cold toes, we scrunch all up and try to get warm!

There are certainly alot worse bugs to get than the rose bug!! That's what I always say when people are surprised at how much time and money goes into our hobby - gardening. We don't drink, smoke, or do drugs, so this is our vice and at least we're not throwing it away!!! :lol:

Faites attention Pixi, et vous parlerez bientôt! :wink:

Val

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Who are the two big guys PIXI? I would guess Meilland, but I am not very familiar with the French market...

HG

JPIXI

Hello HG,

The two giants are Meilland and Delbard.

Meilland has lesser selection, less agressive in marketing and promotion. However, their roses are very very resistance and beautifully created in terms of their shapes and shades, most are with enchanting fragrances. They nearly never give any discount or promotion. The only time when you can find 50% discount offered by their authorised retailers is during Jan and not by Meilland herself.

The famous rose Peace is a good example of Meilland creation.

Delbard on the other hand is a lot keener in their marketing strategy and they have a lot of choices. Most are very simular. So much so that, some do not have a name too, so sad :(

Personally, I do not like buy direct from both rose giants through mail order. I have ntoiced that, with the very little price difference, the quality is too high to compensate. Probably, the best ones are allocated to retailers and authorised private rose nurseries. Often, I order my roses from a Bio rose farm in the countryside. The roses quality cannot be any better. They open their farm for visiting from Spring to Summer, and it is a pleasure to take a walk in a 3 hectors park with roses you can choose from.

French households have quite high rose knowledge. It is easy detacted because, during supermarket promotion, on the first day itself, all resistance breeds are often all snapped up, where the rest are nearly all left on the shelves.

Hope the above information can satisfy some curiousity of our different rose culture and environment.

Cheers,
Pixi

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I am familiar with Meilland; their Meidiland Series of landscape roses are very famous here for their tough habit.

I must say I do not know Delbard, despite the fact I am both a nurseryman and a marketer; a bit of a suprise. I am guessing that they sell the local market without the export sales of Meilland?
HG

JPIXI

Hello HG,

Yes Meilland roses are mostly known for their high resistancy. We are lucky to be in France, that benefits from their new ranges of roses more quickly. Meilland designs more modern than antique like roses, but they seem to be very conservative with the colour range.

Delbard might be less heard of overseas because they are quite diverse in their product range. They sell fruit trees, and tropical plants too.

Amitié,
Pixi

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Meilland is actually credited with breeding 651 different roses, and has been established much longer. They are known for roses we have all heard of - "Peace", "Bonica", "Frederic Mistral", "Miss All American Beauty", "Princess de Monaco", "Moulin Rouge", "McCartney Rose". to name a very few.

G. Delbard is credited with breeding 255 different roses, and has not been around as long as Meilland. They specialize in large flowered roses, and most of them have very french names (not that that is a bad thing)! A couple you may have heard of are "Black Beauty", "First Edition", "Parfait Delight". Their roses are not as commonly found in North America which is why you probably haven't heard of them Scott. :wink:
Val

Return to “Rose Forum”