momo
Cool Member

Rose Pollination Question

I have a friend who thinks the wild roses on her property are 'ruining' her hybrid tea roses by pollinating them. I think she has suckers coming up from her rootstock. She says that because the wild roses are pollinating her tea roses the tea roses are now producing different looking flowers that resemble the wild roses. Upon further questioning she said the new roses were 'coming up' around her tea roses. I told her I'm almost certain that a plant cannot be genetically altered by being pollinated but she is convinced, and is threatening to tear out the well-established and beautiful wild roses growing near her home. She lives in France and I have never been there, let alone gardened there, but I'm still pretty sure those wild roses aren't hurting her tea roses.

Help me help her!

Wahrheit

momo wrote:I have a friend who thinks the wild roses on her property are 'ruining' her hybrid tea roses by pollinating them. I think she has suckers coming up from her rootstock. She says that because the wild roses are pollinating her tea roses the tea roses are now producing different looking flowers that resemble the wild roses. Upon further questioning she said the new roses were 'coming up' around her tea roses. I told her I'm almost certain that a plant cannot be genetically altered by being pollinated but she is convinced, and is threatening to tear out the well-established and beautiful wild roses growing near her home. She lives in France and I have never been there, let alone gardened there, but I'm still pretty sure those wild roses aren't hurting her tea roses.

Help me help her!

Looks like you have correctly assessed the situation.

There is NO WAY cross pollinating can effect the growth of a plant. Any effects of cross pollination would be in the seed grown offspring, which clearly isn't the case here.

Now the hard part. convincing your friend..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

dbang10

MOMO you are correct, your friend is clueless. Wahrheit is exactly correct.

Return to “Rose Forum”