Mrs_jenc
Newly Registered

little green bugs

I came home from out of town and seen that there are little green bugs on my rose bush and now they are all over my house plant( I move my house plants outside in the summer) I don't know what to use on my house plants to get them off. I know that I have a few sensitive plant and I don't what to kill them.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Welcome to the Helpful Gardener! It's very nice to have you here! :)

They are aphids. The easiest thing to do is simply wash them off with a stream of water from your garden hose. Be sure to wash the undersides of the leaves, as well as the tops. You may need to do it every week or so, to prevent more from taking up housekeeping.

You can do the same with your houseplants. I wash mine off with a stream of water from the faucet my utility room sink. I first wrap the entire pot in aluminum foil, so that the soil is covered. That helps to keep the soil from falling out of the pot when I turn the plant upside down, to wash the undersides of the leaves. I used the spray attachment at my kitchen sink once, but made a big mess. (You might be more successful with that than I was. :lol: ) You might also put them in the tub and hose them off with a not-too-forceful spray of water from the shower.

Another treatment is to mix 1 teaspoonful of pure soap -- be careful not to use detergent ... read the label carefully -- with one quart of water, and spray the plants thoroughly with that.

Return to “Rose Forum”