Marge
Cool Member

Roses in pots outdoors?

Is it possible to grow roses in pots outdoors? (ramblers and hybrid-t) I have been given some roses and don't really have the room for them ...:roll:

PS. I am in Yorkshire.

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Hi Marge! Yorkshire of which country, I'm not sure. :lol:

However, yes you can grow roses in pots outdoors, for the period of time of the year that it is not freezing. At freezing temperatures, you need to find a way of wintering them. You can read more about that in Rose Care Forum - Specific Winter Care - about halfway down the list.

If you are going to grow roses in containers, you need to ensure that the pot is big enough for the plant, and also remember that roses are heavy feeders, so you need to ensure that you add some good nutrients to the soil you put in the pots.

If you need any more help, or have further questions, feel free to drop in! :wink:

Val

Marge
Cool Member

Ta for the info :) I shall see how I go once Spring officially springs :wink:

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

You are most welcome! Drop back anytime with questions or just to chat, that's why we're here! :wink:

Val

gardenher
Newly Registered

Hi Marge,

I have a carpet rose in a large container located in a sheltered place by the front door. I underplanted it with spring bulbs and they're doing quite well together.

I'm Canadian but lived in East Yorkshire (well, alright, North Humberside) for some years in the 90's. A beautiful part of England!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Another voice from Vancouver; do you ALL garden? :lol:

It must be nice; my planthead buddies all ask breathlessly "Oh! Have you been?" with that wide eyed look and then shake sadly when I say I haven't been yet...

Welcome all. Marge, spring is nye...

HG

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

What a sheltered life you lead Scott!!! :lol:

Val

Return to “Rose Forum”