gfranck
Newly Registered

winter protection

Hey Val! Any advice on over wintering rose trees? A friend said to secure them from wind, then cut back alittle, and stuff straw into burlap around the union bud. Does that sound right? :shock:

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Hi Gfranck! As noted in my last writing, tree roses is one of the specialty roses I will be covering next. If I were to use the method your friend has told you of, I would wrap the entire rose in straw and burlap.
However, Rose trees are very sensitive to winter, because the graft is so high on them, which is why many people in colder temperatures do not grow them.
The most common method of winterizing tree roses that I know of is digging up the roots on one side of your tree rose, bending it over to the ground, staking it to secure it, and then cover the whole thing with soil, compost or mulch.
I will be going into this into more depth in the article I am writing right now, so watch for it then! :wink:
VAL

gfranck
Newly Registered

Hi grandparose! I tried trenching my tree roses and it didn't work well. You see, I am on the border of 5a and 5b, so some winters are very hard and others are not. I know I need a method that will work with my wacky weather. These 'playboy' rose trees are SPECTACULAR! People stop in the street, or walk down to them, to admire them. I'd hate to lose them. :)

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Of course you don't want to lose them!!! Let me get down to the nitty gritty of this article, and we'll see what we can come up with for you! I will get back to you very soon! Thanks for your patience. :wink:
VAL

Return to “Rose Forum”