momo
Cool Member

Has anyone grown the Rugosa Rose 'Topaz Jewel'?

I was looking for a healthy, hearty Rugosa Rose and I came across 'Topaz Jewel' during my research. Is there anyone who has personal experience growing this rose? Are they really 'disease resistant, hardy, reblooming, and self-cleaning' like the online nurseries say?

If they are as great as they sound I can't wait to plant some :D

Wahrheit

momo wrote:I was looking for a healthy, hearty Rugosa Rose and I came across 'Topaz Jewel' during my research. Is there anyone who has personal experience growing this rose? Are they really 'disease resistant, hardy, reblooming, and self-cleaning' like the online nurseries say?

If they are as great as they sound I can't wait to plant some :D

I have not grown it, but a friend of mine has. All the claims/concerns that you have raised appear to be true.
It supposedly has good rebloom, and all rugosa's (except maybe my Conrad Ferdinand Meyer) are quite disease resistant and hardy. I've grown about twelve or thirteen different rugosa's and this is one that I definitely plan to add to my collection. Like most rugosa's it also has a nice fragrance. According to my friend, this one does need to be pruned and shaped to give it good form. I say GO FOR IT!, I'm hoping to receive my own cutting later this year.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I'm interested in learning what a "self-cleaning" rose does. It's a new phrase for me.

Thank you!

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

My understanding is that self-cleaning plants automatically shed spent flowers, so they don't have to be deadheaded. I could be wrong, though. :)

Wahrheit

cynthia_h wrote:I'm interested in learning what a "self-cleaning" rose does. It's a new phrase for me.

Thank you!

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

The terms "self-cleaning" and "self-deadheading" are often interchangeable.

In the case of the former, it refers to the dropping of old growth leaves as well.
In either case, Rugosa's generally do both.

Return to “Rose Forum”