D-MAN
Newly Registered

How to Get Rid of Black Spot on Roses

I need some help on what to use on my roses to rid them of black spot.
I am a new garderner to roses and though I have tried several years I keep losing them.
PollyAnn (NY)

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Black spot is a fungal disease. A good organic treatment is to spray with 1 part milk mixed with 10 parts water. You can increase the concentration as much as half milk/half water, if the problem is really bad. Use a milk that has live acidophilus bacteria. You can also use sour cream or yogurt that contain live bacteria cultures.

Remove as much of the infected leaves as possible, and destroy them. Don't put them in your compost pile. Clean all debris from around your plants regularly and often.

Wahrheit

D-MAN wrote:I need some help on what to use on my roses to rid them of black spot.
I am a new garderner to roses and though I have tried several years I keep losing them.
PollyAnn (NY)
I use Soap Shield, a copper based product available from www.GardensAlive.Com

It works great for me in controlling blackspot, mildew, fungus, etc.. However, I have *weeded out* most of the heavily disease prone cultivars from my large rose garden. There's a whole list of them that I just can't be bothered with anymore. I have enjoyed growing roses for many years, but I like having a life, too! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Most of the Rugosa roses are immune to blackspot,( I have several different cultivars). Also great for disease immunity, is Lady Elsie May, and all of the Knock Out varieties. Actually, there's quite a few roses that have relatively low maintenance. Unfortunately, many of the Hybrid Teas tend to fall into the problematic group.

yumoOo

how do you get the black spots?

Return to “Rose Forum”