jeanierutledge@yahoo.com
Newly Registered

Roses Not Budding - What Can Be the Reason for No Rose Buds?

My roses are not budding this year. I have lots and lots of healthy leaves. I've cut out all the sucker stems, but still no roses. Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong? Yes, I have been feeding them, watering them, and treating them against aphids. :roll:

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

What are you feeding them?

What is your aphid treatment?

Are you using any kind of mulch or compost?

With your answers, hopefully I can make some suggestions to get your roses to bloom. :D

jeanierutledge@yahoo.com
Newly Registered

:lol: Julie, thanks for responding to my plea. I am feeding them Cottage Farms clorine and sodium free Bud-N-Flower Booster for Roses; I'm treating the aphids with Green Light Rose Defense; and I'm using coffee grounds and black peat for mulch. -- Jean :cry:

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

Jean,

You're very welcome. :D

I checked the Cottage Farms website to learn the nutrient ratio of the bud n bloom which is 18-24-18. Nitrogen, Phosphorous, Potassium. "The main nutrients that promote rose blooms are Phosphorous and Potassium. To increase your phosphorous, you can add a nice helping of well rotted compost, or a handful of bone meal worked in. To solve a potassium deficiency, again, a good helping of well rotted compost helps, or alfalfa meal (I buy mine at a farm feed store as it is cheaper), some fish emulsion, or some kelp."

I copied this from another post I found and have referred to a couple of times. It's written perfectly and I couldn't have said it better. I do want to add that I think you are feeding too much nitrogen with both the coffee grounds and the bud n bloom. I would try the bone meal and see what happens.

Have fun and keep us posted. :wink:

jeanierutledge@yahoo.com
Newly Registered

:lol: Thank you so much! I will try the bone meal.

dbang10

If your rose is not getting enough sun you will get blind shoots, all foliage and no bloom.

Return to “Rose Forum”